'Alexander' Students Offered Take-Home

By Adam M. Lalley, Crimson Staff Writer

Students in last semester's Literature and Arts B-21, "Images of Alexander the Great," will have the option of either a take-home or proctored make-up exam, Dean of Undergraduate Education Susan Pedersen decided last week.

Students taking the exam in Science Center B on January 18 were interrupted when a man walked into the examination room claiming to have a bomb.

Pedersen's decision--sent in an e-mail to students during intersession--informed students that the exam would still be given on the originally rescheduled date--February 3 at 9:15.

Students who opt not to take the seated proctored exam can pick up a take-home equivalent on February 3 and return it by February 5.

Students must decide by 5 p.m. today which exam they will take.

Pedersen wrote students that while she believes the university should do everything in its power to help the

students, administrators have no intention of excusing them from completing the course requirements.

"The actions of some madman should not prevent us from pursuing our usual educational goals," she wrote.

The course's instructor, Loeb Professor of Classical Art and Archaeology David G. Mitten, said he thought Pedersen's decision presented the best and fairest alternative.

"I realize that this solution will not be convenient for nor please every member of the class," Mitten wrote in an e-mail to the class. "However, given the circumstances, I believe that this is the best solution to an unprecedented situation over which none of us had any control whatsoever."

Most students said they find the decision a welcome compromise.

"Its a fair decision. I think its pretty accommodating," said Rob A. Cacace '03.

Cacace said he will opt for the take-home exam and that all of his friends in the class plan to do the same.

"They handled it pretty well given the circumstances. Adding the essays and taking away the memorization part helped," said Rob J. Fried '04, who will take the take-home exam due to a sports conflict.

But Fried also said he thought that both students and administrators were still focused too much on the exam, and less on the emotional effect of the bomb on students.

"It seemed like people were calling the registrar before calling the police," Fried said.

Mitten will be holding an informal meeting for class members the night before the exam with members of University Health Services, the Bureau of Study Counsel, and teaching fellows from the class to give students an opportunity to talk about their concerns.

"I just hope Harvard is

human before it's academic," Fried said.

Some students, however, are dissatisfied with Pedersen's decision.

"I think it's appallingly arrogant that the Core Office thinks they know more about a class than the professor. It acts on its own behalf, and not the students'," said Brad R. Sohn '02.

Sohn said he plans to take the seated, proctored exam, because he thinks a take-home exam would be graded with more scrutiny.

--Staff writer Adam M. Lalley can be reached at lalley@fas.harvard.edu.