Upstart Adams Leads in Intramural Standings

By Jeslyn A. Miller, Crimson Staff Writer

Adams House is poised to beat out seven-time Straus Cup winner Cabot House to capture the House intramural (IM) championship, according to the official fall standings released over e-mail Monday by IM Director John Wentzell.

At the end of the fall season, Adams House stands at the top of the IM list with 431.5 points, while Cabot and Kirkland follow with 404.5 and 387.5 points respectively.

Adams IM coordinators credit their success to unprecedented House participation, increased IM spirit and well-rounded teams.

Adams only forfeited one IM game this season due to lack of participation.

“Adams is just the best House. It was just a matter of time before we expressed this dominance,” said Joshua D. Blanchfield ’02, one of the House co-coordinators.

Fellow IM Coordinator Stephen N. Smith ’02 attributed much of Adams’ success to Blanchfield’s leadership and organization.

“Josh has been the core of the revival,” Smith said. “He walks through the dining hall and 10 people ask about upcoming games.”

Around Adams, Blanchfield has become known for the humorous e-mails he sends out after each IM game.

“It’s all Blanchfield’s e-mails,” said Ryan M. Parmenter ’03, explaining why so many Adams residents participate in IMs this year.

Adams House’s success this season comes on the heels of seven years of IM domination by Cabot House.

Cabot residents are quick to point out that their House can still come back to win the championship.

“The year is only one-third over,” said Cabot House IM Coordinator Susannah K. Graves ’03.

Graves explained that, in the past, the spring semester has been the crucial time for Cabot’s clenching the coveted cup.

“Last year we came out of the winter behind and had a great showing in the spring,” Graves said.

“We’re not worried,” Graves added.

Traditionally, Adams has not been one of the strongest IM competitors—a fact that some attribute to Adam’s reputation pre-randomization as the “arts House.”

However, Adams residents say the difference this year lies in leadership, not in absolute athletic talent.

“We have people who are willing to participate in House life and a great House Committee that is active in recruiting people,” said Adams resident Artour Samsonov ’02.