M. Soccer Pulls Off Lions Shutout

By Anastasios G. Skalkos, Contributing Writer

An early goal from sophomore striker Ladd Fritz was all the offense Harvard needed as the men’s soccer team blanked Columbia 1-0 on Saturday afternoon in New York.

With only two league games left against Brown and Penn, two teams in the middle of the Ivy pack, Harvard is firmly in control of its own title destiny.

“I thought we really dominated the game,” freshman defender Jason Andersen said. “We all couldn’t wait to get back on the field after the loss last weekend. This was a big win. It puts us in great shape for the title.”

Harvard (9-3-1, 4-1 Ivy) got on the board early. Less than four minutes into the first half, sophomore forward Grayson Sugarman found Fritz about thirty yards from goal. Sensing that the Columbia defenders were giving him room, Fritz dribbled for about 10 yards before unleashing a low, driving shot that skipped past diving Lions keeper Mike Ewers.

After a tough loss to Dartmouth last Saturday, the Crimson had a full week to rest and let some injuries heal up. They came into Saturday’s matchup knowing that another loss would seriously hurt their chances for a league title and a tournament bid.

The Lions (6-4-3, 3-2-1 Ivy) came in boasting a three-game conference winning streak. A win against the first place Crimson would have put them in good shape for a run at the Ivy Title.

But it wasn;t to be for the Light Blue.

After Fritz’s goal, the Crimson dominated the rest of the half. Sophomore forward Kevin Ara took control of the midfield, winning headballs and controlling the flow of play.

The Lions failed to muster any serious attack. They continuously tried to build their attack through their defense, moving the ball through the stopper or sweeper before switching fields. The Crimson adjusted accordingly, shifting all four of their midfielders to the side that the ball was on and suffocating the Lions.

Columbia was not able to send the dangerous long ball across the field that may have exploited the Crimson defense.

The game opened up in the second half. The Crimson had plenty of chances to put the game out of reach but failed to put a second goal on the board.

Fritz created a number of opportunities, sending one ball just over the net from about 12 yards out.

The Crimson’s best second-half chance came when Grayson Sugarman was heading in on a breakaway against Ewers. On his way in, he was hauled down by a Lions defender.

The defender received a yellow card, which easily could have been a red as there was nobody between Sugarman and the goalie.

The only chances for the Lions came off of the foot of junior forward Craig Smart. Smart was able to penetrate the Harvard defense and create a couple of dangerous opportunitties.

The Lions’ best scoring opportunity of the game came with about 20 minutes left in the match when Smart beat a Crimson defender, turned on another defender in the box and unleashed a rocket that sailed over the net.

Crimson goalie Danny Mejias, who had come out of last weekend’s game at halftime with a leg injury, did not have to do much to preserve the shutout.

The Harvard defenders shut down the Columbia attack for the majority of the game, keeping most of the play in the Harvard offensive zone.

Wins against the Brown Bears and the Quakers would ensure the Crimson of the Ivy title and would put them in excellent position for a tourament bid.

“It’s just awesome to be a part of this team,” freshman Pablo Koe-Krumpecher said. “I think we can win the Ivy title, and hopefully advance deep into the tournament.”

The Crimson have the entire week off before hosting Penn next Saturday .