Crimson Wins Red-Line Series, 3-1

By Nicolas O. Jimenez, Crimson Staff Writer

After dominating the Odeneal Division last year and earning a berth in the Hay Division this year, the Harvard men's volleyball team is finding out that its new conference is no walk in the park.

The Crimson (5-4, 1-4 Hay) was swept by division leader NYU (6-6, 5-1), 3-0 (30-27, 30-27, 31-29), on Saturday afternoon at the Malkin Athletic Center.

Although all three games were closely contested, Harvard never managed to win key points late in each game and lost for the first time at home this season.

The Crimson was without freshman middle blocker Juan Carlos Cardet, who has missed three straight games with a sprained ankle.

"We were missing a key player, and NYU is very tough," said Harvard Coach Tom Wilson. "We just didn't make the plays when we needed to, and in that way this match was a microcosm of our season so far."

The first game went back and forth, and both teams were tied at 10-10 and later at 22-22. At that point, the Crimson took a 25-23 lead after a tip from sophomore setter Mike Bookman and a kill by junior co-captain Justin Denham.

At that point, NYU middle hitter Mitch Kallick single-handedly won the game for the Violets, recording four straight kills to spark a 7-2 NYU run that sealed the game at 30-27.

"They have great middles," Wilson said. "[Kallick and middle hitter Levi Gundert] killed us today."

In the second game, the Violets jumped out to the early 12-4 lead, this time behind the play of Gundert, who had four kills in the early going.

However, Harvard responded with a run of its own, forcing several NYU errors and receiving imposing blocks from Denham to tie the game at 14-14.

Trying to gain the lead, the Crimson committed several errors that gave the Violets a 26-20 advantage.

Senior outside hitter Brian Stevenson carried Harvard back to within one point with three blocks and two kills. Kallick, however, closed out the 30-27 NYU win with a pinpoint tip and a resounding kill.

The third game was the closest of all, with both teams tied at 22-22 late in the game. Denham and freshman Russell Mosier kept the Crimson in contention, and a tip by Mosier gave Harvard a brief 25-24 lead.

After two more kills by Mosier, Harvard had game point at 29-28, and a chance to stay alive in the match.

Kallick again would not allow the match to be extended. He tipped the ball between two Crimson players to tie the game at 29-29. Kallick then finished off the match by placing another perfect tip between the defense and emphatically powering a kill to the left side to end the third game, 31-29, and the match, 3-0.

"We came ready to play, but we were not finishing," said Harvard co-captain Justin Micomonaco. "With everyone switching positions, our block is significantly weaker."

Stevenson led all players with 16 kills, while Bookman, returning from a back injury, recorded a game-high 33 assists.

Harvard will next take to the road to face Sacred Heart on Wednesday. The Crimson then returns home for a divisional homestand against East Stroudsberg and Queens.