City Council Regular ‘Jonesy’ Dies at 82

By Sarah L. Bishop, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

William C. Jones, a Cambridge City Council regular for four decades known for his love of city politics and compassion for people in need, died this Monday. He was 82.

Jones, known to decades of city councillors as “Jonesy,” spoke at almost every weekly council meeting for the last 40 years.

And for the past few years the podium for public comment in the council’s Sullivan Chamber has literally been all his own.

In November 1999 the council purchased a new podium and dedicated it to Jones.

A golden plaque on its front reads, “The Cambridge City Council hereby dedicates this podium to William C. Jones in recognition of his many years of effective public testimony at its meetings.”

“It was where Jonesy spoke from all the time,” said Mayor Michael A. Sullivan. “I think he spoke at every council meeting.”

Councillors described Jones as a defender for the people in Cambridge he felt were unappreciated—the elderly, residents of subsidized housing and council employees themselves.

“Bill was kind of...an advocate for people who were up against it a little bit,” said Councillor David P. Maher.

“This was a guy who didn’t have a lot himself but he wasn’t out there looking [out] for him,” he said.

“Police and fire were a big part of it. He was always...advocating for the people who actually do the work around here,” Sullivan said.

Friends describe Jones as a sociable man who could spend hours talking about any aspect of city life and politics.

“He loved to be in conversation,” said Sullivan, describing how Jones would come and find him at church to have a chat.

“I’d be finishing up at Mass and his night would just be starting,” Sullivan said.

Jones didn’t refrain from attacking public policies, but always had the best interests of the city in mind, friends said.

“Jonesy would be very complimentary if he liked you but if he didn’t like you he could be very bald,” Maher said.

“I think people always waited to see who he was going to go after at the budget meetings—but [they knew that] he was a deeply caring man who loved Cambridge more than anything.”

Jones’ friends said he dedicated his time to three main interests—the City Council, his pets and concerts with the Roma Band, a North End-based marching band.

Jones was the band’s business manager and, though he did not play an instrument, attended every concert.

“He was always so excited, enthusiastic. He was always the first one there,” said Richard C. Bamberg, general manager of the Roma Band.

When the band played in city parades, Bamberg would supply a car for Jones to ride in.

“He’d sit in the car and wave to people—he enjoyed the notoriety,” said Bamberg.

The band also plays at Italian religious festivals and weddings, which Jones loved.

“He liked to drink vino out of a Pepsi can,” remembered Maher. “He loved [the events], he would talk about it for weeks and weeks afterwards.”

Maher said he also remembers Jones’ encyclopedic memory for Cambridge city history.

“He could tell you who was the mayor in 1949 and how many votes he had and who stabbed who in the back to get the job,” Maher said.

He added that Jones used his knowledge not just as trivia, but to make people feel good about themselves.

“My dad was a city councillor back in the sixties and when I was elected my dad had passed away...not a day went by when he didn’t tell me a story about my dad,” said Maher.

Sullivan, whose grandfather served as a councillor from 1936 to 1949, agreed.

“Jonesy was engaging—he would tell me stories about my grandfather, who died before I was born,” he said.

“This was a guy with no real [remaining] family, but he had this real network of friends and loved ones...” Maher said.

“I think that’s what makes a life worthwhile,” he added.

The funeral service will be held at the John C. Burns & Sons Funeral Home, 305 Broadway, Cambridge at 10 a.m. this morning.

It will be followed by a Funeral Mass for friends and family in St. Mary’s Church at 11 a.m.