New Leader Plans To Take HSA Beyond Harvard

By Tamara Somasundaran, Contributing Writer

Abhishek Gupta ’04 will take over as president of Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) in February, the umbrella organization for student businesses announced this week.

As president, Gupta said he plans to focus on expanding several of HSA’s agencies with the ultimate goal of bringing popular products and services, such as its bartending course and the Unofficial Guide to Life at Harvard, to other local universities.

The board chose Gupta, a member of HSA’s Board of Directors since his sophomore year and former manager of Unofficial Publications, after a speech and interview early this fall.

“Abhishek is a tremendous leader and has been involved with HSA for a long time,” said current HSA President Bradley J. Olson ’03. “I’m positive that he’ll do a wonderful job as the next president of HSA and will build on our success this year.”

Gupta chose his sole opponent for the presidency, Anthony Ekmekjian ’04, to be his vice-president.

Although his long term plans remain flexible, expansion will be an immediate priority, Gupta said.

For the moment, he hopes to offer HSA’s flier delivery service at Harvard’s professional and graduate schools and to print specialized Unofficial Guides for each school—before moving on to other universities. But he plans to take the bartending course straight to other campuses.

“Our main goal is to provide high-quality jobs and services for students,” Gupta said. “Expanding will require more managers who we will be able to employ.”

More effectively assisting the directors of HSA’s agencies is also on Gupta’s agenda. The president “guides and mentors” the heads of the agencies, he said, as well as setting the company’s overall course.

Gupta cited the ongoing revamp of the Let’s Go travel guides as a project in which he hopes to play a part.

In addition, Gupta said he will continue work that Olson undertook during his term.

“This year HSA did a great deal in terms of improving the Harvard Shop, drawing closer relations with our clients and working on getting the HSA name out,” Gupta said. “That’s definitely something we want to continue and expand on.”

Gupta said the rental of HSA microfridges presents concerns but added he isn’t prepared to take a formal position on the issue.

HSA has a monopoly on dorm room microwaves, because only its microfridges meet the College’s approval, and the rentals generate substantial revenue. But lately, questions about the units’ safety have been raised.

“The article is something I was concerned about when I was running, but it’s a very complicated issue,” Gupta said. “I am currently working very closely with the new manager...to see what we can do.”

Founded in 1957, HSA is the world’s largest student-run corporation, employing more than 800 Harvard students and generating more than $5 million in revenue last year.