Harvard Parking Services Boosts Fines

By Zachary Z Norman, Crimson Staff Writer

Motorists parking illegally on Harvard property have taken a harder hit in the wallet over the past two weeks, as Harvard Parking Services has raised fines in an attempt to mirror the penalties already imposed by the City of Cambridge.

“We are trying to ensure the rights of the permit holders at Harvard,” said Betsy Shortell, assistant manager of parking services.

Parking illegally in a space designated for permit-holders now costs $15—up from $10. Parking in a space assigned to a specific person increased from $10 to $25.

The fine for parking in a fire lane remains unchanged at $15 and the fine for parking in front of a fire hydrant is $25.

Parking Services has also stepped up enforcement by using more monitors.

In an effort to actually collect fines, they also plan to start immobilizing illegally parked cars until drivers call in to pay their fine and have the devices removed, Shortell said.

The University’s fees are still less than those imposed by some other area schools. Boston University charges $15 for general parking violations but $50 for parking in a fire zone.

MIT has a $20 penalty for a general violations—higher than the city’s $15 fine—and $50 for parking in a fire lane.

MIT sets its ticket fines above those of the city because it feels that a higher fine provides a greater incentive against parking illegally, said John M. McDonald, MIT director of parking and transportation.

—Staff writer Zachary Z Norman can be reached at znorman@fas.harvard.edu.