Economist Editor Backs U.S. Policy On Iraq

By William C. Martin, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite resentment abroad, U.S. leadership in the world remains strong, Editor-In-Chief of The Economist Bill Emmott said at the ARCO Forum last night.

Emmott, who has edited the London-based news magazine since 1993, said America is not a power “in the driver’s seat,” but rather an “elder brother,” whom other countries resent at times but ultimately trust.

Responding to questions from Kennedy School of Government Dean Joseph S. Nye before an audience of several hundred, Emmott shared his views on terrorism, a potential war in Iraq and the differences between public opinion in Europe and the U.S. on such a war.

He described the use of force in Iraq as “better than the alternative” of containing a dangerous dictator.

“The status quo is untenable and it makes life harder in the Middle East as well,” Emmott said, adding that efforts to end the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinians would be helped by the removal of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

The argument that the Bush administration is simply after Iraq’s vast oil resources is unconvincing, he said.

He stressed the fact that most nations ultimately share the U.S. interest in regime change in Iraq.

Even France, which has threatened to veto a second U.N. Security Council resolution authorizing the use of force in Iraq, will eventually reconsider, Emmott said.

“France feels that it’s got relatively few cards to play in the world,” he explained. “It will use its cards as long as it can.”

Nye pressed Emmott for his views on the widely-perceived divergence of opinions between Europe and the U.S, particularly regarding Iraq and terrorism.

“Interests are still pretty much aligned, values are pretty much aligned and perhaps what we’re seeing are the problems when powers are quite equal,” he said.

And European opinions on issues like terrorism are diverse, he noted.

Emmott also spoke briefly on the prospects for British entrance into the European single currency.

England will adopt the Euro within the next five years, he said, adding that he believes British Prime Minister Tony Blair will likely call for a referendum on the matter this year that will fail by a narrow margin.

Several audience members asked Emmott to describe the inner workings of The Economist.

The magazine attempts to combine factual information with reasoned arguments, he said.

And sending a correspondent to the Middle East, he said, is not a high priority.

“Basically, the Economist can cover the war by watching CNN,” he said.

—Staff writer William C. Martin can be reached at wmartin@fas.harvard.edu.