Record Number of Applicants Vie for Law School Spots

By Veronique E. Hyland, Crimson Staff Writer

Facing a tough economy and diminished job prospects, more students applied to Harvard Law School (HLS) last year than ever before.

A record 7,300 applicants vied to enter the school in 2003, in comparison to 6,924 in 2002.

The increase echoes a national trend. According to the Law School Admission Council, which administers the LSAT exam, law school applications across the country went up by 17.9 percent last year.

At HLS, the number of applicants has been increasing for the past few years, according to Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid Joyce Curll.

The rise is likely due to a weak job market, Curll said, noting that job scarcity has drawn people to HLS in the past.

But some students are reacting “to the way things in the world seem disorganized,” she said. “The rule of law takes on meaning for many people...law school is a way to make a contribution.”

Applications to the Law School from students at the College—and its alums—have also been on the rise, according to Dena Rakoff, pre-law advisor at the Office of Career Services.

In the past year, 352 Harvard College seniors and alums applied to HLS, she said.

Law schools across the country have also seen an increase in applicants from the College in recent years.

“The economy is a big factor in making people decide to go to school instead of going to work right away,” she said. “There’s definitely a mentality that says, ‘I’m going to get more education now rather than spin my wheels in a job that I don’t enjoy.’”

William J. Trach, who became a pre-law tutor in Kirkland House this year, said he has observed a similar trend.

“It is my understanding that last year we did see a fairly significant increase [in applicants],” said Trach, who is a third-year student at HLS.

Among these applicants were “[College] alums who are writing back and looking to apply after working for a few years,” he said.

Curll said the Law School encourages this practice.

“People learn as much from each other as they do from books and teachers,” she said. “It makes them a more interesting applicant to have a few years of experience behind them.”

Vida C. Harvey ’04, who is applying to law school this year, said that she has concerns about the increasing competitiveness in the field.

“The quality of students has gone up,” she said.

Nevertheless, she plans to “take a chance” and apply.

Harvey, who is interested in working in public-interest law, said she has considered taking time off before she goes to law school.

But if a fat envelope from the law school of her choice arrives, Harvey said she would likely reconsider.

“I would probably go,” Harvey said. “I don’t want to lose momentum.”

—Staff writer Veronique E. Hyland can be reached at hyland@fas.harvard.edu.