Crimson’s Title Hopes On Line in Hanover

By Abigail M. Baird, Contributing Writer

The Dartmouth men’s soccer team has been just about unbeatable this season—but it just can’t seem to win either.

The Big Green’s defensive dominnace—it has allowed the fewest goals per game (.67) in the Ivies thus far—has put the team in a three-way tie for first in the league, despite its paltry offensive performance which has given it more ties than wins.

This defensive powerhouse will host the offensive-minded Harvard (9-5-0, 3-1-0 Ivy) on Sunday in a game that could very well determine the eventual Ivy champion. Dartmouth (4-2-6, 2-0-2 Ivy), the Crimson and Yale are in a three-way tie for first in conference standings. And while Harvard is riding a five-game win streak in which it was scored fifteen goals—more than the Big Green has scored all year—its depleted lineup will leave it vulnerable.

Such a situation is especially precarious since one more loss for the Crimson would almost certainly doom hopes for its first Ivy championship since 1994.

But unlike Harvard, Dartmouth’s superior defense—led by goalie Rowan Anders—has been what has kept the Big Green in championship contention. Anders has allowed just nine goals during the 12 games Dartmouth has played this season, good for first in the Ivy League. Anders’ counterpart, Harvard junior goalie Ryan Johnson, ranks just fourth.

The Crimson offense will need to be aggressive in order to break the power of The Big Green’s back four. And though Harvard coach John Kerr said there will be no major formation switches—such as making freshman midfielder Michael Fucito a third forward—the Crimson is going to have to move its strength up farther on the field.

Anders is also an intimidating prescence at 6’4, especially for a smaller team like Harvard, whose average forward height is 5’9, forcing Harvard to shoot hard and low in order to score.

“We will do our best to keep our crosses away from [Anders] and more towards our attackers,” Kerr said.

But while the Dartmouth defense is not as feared as their goalie, it is still a major force on the field.

“[We] definitely have to go after it” Kerr said.

Meanwhile, the Crimson’s normally stingy defensive corps will likely be severely depleted on Sunday. Senior defender Sam Wiggin will not be allowed to play after receiving a red card against Providence on Tuesday. Harvard could also be without the services of senior Jason Andersen and sophomore midfielder Tom Stapleton, who both sat out Tuesday’s game due to injuries.

The loss of Andersen and Wiggin are especially devastating, as the two have started every game so far this year that they have been healthy.

Stapleton’s knee injury will most likely keep him out of the game, as he still has yet to play in full contact drills with the team.

“It’s still in the doctor’s hands about when he will be able to train,” Kerr said.

Kerr started both sophomore defender David Williams and senior defender Ben Mottau in the back four on Tuesday in place of Andersen and Stapleton. He feels confident that either one of these players will be able to fill Wiggin’s spot if necessary, even though they have both seem limited action this fall. Senior midfielder Zach Chandis—who started against Princeton on Saturday—will most likely get the nod as the fourth defender.

Craig noted that unfamiliarity with each other’s style of play could prove to be a liability, especially with whoever replaces Wiggin, as Craig and Wiggin are the two normal starters in the center of the defensive line

“Who ever is going to be playing in his spot, we’ll have to get used to each other,” said Craig. “We will have someone who can step up for this game and possibly more.”

Kerr says that he hasn’t made the choice of who to put in for Stapleton, but that he will make a definite decision in Saturday’s practice.

Kickoff is in Hanover, N.H. at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Men's Soccer