News Brief: Thief Swipes Candy and Snacks as Currier Vending Machine Is Vandalized Again

By Hana R. Alberts, Crimson Staff Writer

The latest vandalism to a Currier House vending machine threatens to leave House residents hungry.

The House’s central vending machine was vandalized early Thursday morning, and the perpetrator stole candy and other snack items, according to an e-mail sent to Currier residents Friday by Masters’ Assistant Patricia G. Pepper.

Pepper wrote that the machine has been vandalized three times this semester, and warned students that the machine can only take so much abuse.

“Unfortunately, the vending company has said that they will need to remove the machine if it is vandalized in Currier again,” Pepper wrote.

All Seasons Service, the company that maintains the machine, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Harvard University Police Department spokesperson Steven G. Catalano said that during the incident on Nov. 11 the machine’s plexiglass window suffered significant damage.

He also confirmed another vandalism to the same machine on Oct. 1.

Catalano said there is no way to tell if the vandalism was committed by a Harvard affiliate.

“We’ve had instances in years past where vending machines were vandalized and broken into by both members of the Harvard community and persons not affiliated with the University,” he said.

The Currier House Committee (HoCo), like the other HoCos, receives some of the revenue from the vending machines, according to Co-Chair Robert M. Koenig ’06.

But he said he does not know how much money HoCo stands to lose from that particular machine.

Currier House Master Joseph L. Badaracco said he was disappointed about the incident.

“It’s also a concern because someone basically came into the House or was already in the House and damaged property and stole something,” he said. “The next time it might be in a student’s room, not a vending machine.”

Some Currier residents said they are slightly upset about the most recent incident.

“I think it’s sad that people are vandalizing our House,” said Param P. Dhillon, a resident tutor in Currier. “[But] I don’t really care if they take it away.”

Joan Tom ’05, who is also a Crimson editor, said she does not feel threatened by the act of vandalism.

“It’s just people doing drunk, stupid things. I don’t feel violated or anything,” Tom said.

—William C. Marra contributed to the reporting of this story.