The Stills Rock T.T. the Bear’s with Punky Pop and Charm

The young Canadian band’s crowd-pleasing retro sound still has room for growth

By Zhenzhen Lu, Crimson Staff Writer

At one point during the Stills’ loud, enthusiastic set at T. T. the Bear’s Place last Tuesday, vocalist Tim Fletcher leaned his head flirtatiously toward the audience and asked, “So you’re all still in school?” An embarrassing silence was the only response. This is the first headlining tour for the four-piece Canadian rock outfit and the growing pains blared.

Thanks to supporting slots alongside Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Interpol, and their successful debut album Logic Will Break Your Heart, the Stills already boast two sold-out shows in New York and a major tour that will carry them across the Southwest, Canada and the UK.

Like other bands riding the current retro trend, the Stills’ music screamed elements of punk, ska and 80’s new wave. While their influences were at times too obvious, the Stills struck a lush, winsome blend of punk and pop on “Of Montreal” and “Gender Bombs.”

But the Stills have yet to reach the level of musical and performance maturity that other bands in their sphere like Interpol command. Several times they went into feedback overdrive, not seeming to realize how much the jarring noise detracted from the underlying musical textures. Fletcher’s dry, overwrought vocals provided more annoyance than thoughtful tenor. Nonetheless, thrashing energy from drummer Dave Hamelin and bassist Oliver Crowe, combined with Fletcher’s art-boy charm (moments of social awkwardness aside) redeemed the performance, at least partially.

The Stills may have a long way to go, but these 22-year-olds have come far since their middle school jamming days. Band members have known one another since they were twelve years old—Crowe and Hamelin actually became friends when they were four. They quickly developed a collective interest in music—mainly punk, metal, ska and classics like Bob Dylan and Tom Waits. In 2000, they formed the Stills, migrated to New York City and sent demos off to manager Adam “Bix” Berger in hopes of landing a record deal.

“The band started by them sending me their 4-track demos every week,” Berger wrote in an e-mail. “Each week I’d get a package with a couple songs they’d written. Each one better than the next.”

Their persistance paid off and they look forward with optimism. While on the road, the Stills are working on their next album, which Berger promises “will surprise everyone.

“Judging by the many demos of songs they’ve written for the next record, they’ve obviously matured since [Logic Will Break Your Heart],” said Berger. “There are fantastic melodies and a greater growth and command of the songwriting craft with a more arty and imaginative sound. I think lyrically they’re more provocative and imaginative and musically more daring.”

—Staff Writer ZhenZhen Lu can be reached at zlu@fas.harvard.edu.