Mahan, Blickstead Sworn In

Outgoing Undergraduate Council President Rohit Chopra ’04 swears in incoming President Matt W. Mahan ’05, yesterday. Mahan and incoming Vice President Michael R. Blickstead ’05 pledged to focus on both improvements in student life.
By Jeffrey C. Aguero and Ebonie D. Hazle, Crimson Staff Writerss

Vowing to fulfill campaign promises to improve the social and academic lives of students, Matthew W. Mahan ’05 and Michael R. Blickstead ’05 were officially sworn in as president and vice president, respectively, during last night’s Undergraduate Council meeting.

Rohit Chopra ’04 and Jessica R. Stannard-Friel ’04, the outgoing council president and vice president, were present to pass on their torches to the new leaders of the council.

During his speech, Mahan emphasized that he wants to spread the influence and responsibility of the council administration among the representatives.

“I don’t want to be a front-page president,” Mahan said.

Mahan and Blickstead outlined their plans for the next year, which they said would focus partly on taking a proactive role to improve the campus social life.

“It is time to make Harvard a social campus,” Mahan said. “Students should be able to brag about more than our endowment.”

Mahan said that he would use the “bully pulpit” to pressure administrators on issues such as improvements to the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC) and other recreational athletic facilities, as well as the creation of a student center. Improving mental health services for students, advocating for student representation on the Administrative Board and making Cambridge Common safer are also top priorities, according to the new council administration.

Mahan proposed a number of internal reforms for the council, which he said needed to be “professionalized.” The council should consider creating new positions, including a paid IT position, press secretary and liaisons to work with the city of Cambridge and student organizations.

“Our own house should be in order,” he said, suggesting the council should look into raising the optional fee collected from students at the College.

Mahan also proposed reinstating the council’s constitution revision committee and rejoining the Ivy Council, a body which includes representatives from every Ivy League college student government but Harvard’s.

“Believe it or not, there may be some things we can learn from other colleges,” Mahan said.

In addition to the inauguration, the council elected its new secretary, Jason L. Lurie ’05, and its new treasurer, Oulu Wang ’06.

Council members also voted to temporarily reauthorize sponsoring room parties—after the trial period ended with the fall term—over the next two weekends.

The Council will sponsor as many as 24 room parties for $100 per party, with no more than 12 parties per weekend.

“People are ready to drink and ready to get laid,” Lurie said.

—Staff writer Jeffrey C. Aguero can be reached at aguero@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Ebonie D. Hazle can be reached at hazle@fas.harvard.edu.