Brown, Princeton Secure Grip on First Place in Ivies

Bears top Yale, Tigers down Penn to move to 4-1 in the league with two games left

By Associated press

NEW HAVEN, Conn.—Nick Hartigan rushed for 192 yards on 33 carries and tied a career-high with four rushing touchdowns to lead Brown to a 38-21 win over Yale on Saturday.

Brown (7-1, 4-1 Ivy League) remains in a first-place tie with Princeton in the Ivy League. Both are 4-1 in the league. Yale drops to 3-5, 3-2.

Hartigan, the leading rusher in I-AA, surpassed 100 yards rushing for the 21st time in his career.

Ashley Wright caught two touchdown passes for Yale. Wright’s second touchdown catch tied the game at 14-14 with 2:10 left in the first half. A botched squib kick attempt on the ensuing kickoff was recovered by Brown at the Yale 46.

Brown scored five plays and took a 21-14 lead on a 28-yard touchdown pass from Joe DiGiacomo to Jarret Schreck with 39 seconds left. Schreck caught the ball at the 20, broke a tackle, and sprinted down the left sideline for the score.

Yale quarterback Jeff Mroz’s third try at Wright in the end zone was intercepted by James Gasparella with 8:33 left in the fourth quarter, ending a drive by the Bulldogs, who trailed 38-21 at the time. Yale never got the ball back as Brown ran out the clock with a 14-play, 43-yard drive.

Brown junior linebacker Zak DeOssie, a candidate for the Buchanan Award given to the top defensive player in I-AA, injured his left knee in the first quarter and did not return.

DiGiacomo completed 14-of-22 passes for 154 yards and two touchdowns. Yale junior tailback Jordan Spence led the Bulldogs with 72 yards on eight carries, highlighted by a 51-yard touchdown run.

PRINCETON 30, PENN 13

PHILADELPHIA—Jeff Terrell threw for 193 yards and three touchdowns, and Rob Toresco scored twice as Princeton defeated Penn 30-13 on Saturday, snapping a nine-game losing streak to the Quakers.

Terrell completed 16-of-25 passes for the Tigers (6-2, 4-1 Ivy League) who were aided by four interceptions from their defensive backs. Pat McDermott was 18-for-40 with one touchdown for Penn (5-3, 3-2), which has lost back-to-back Ivy League games for the first time since 1999.

Princeton led 14-0 before Joe Sandberg’s 25-year run brought the Quakers to within 14-6 with 10:10 left in the first half. However, the extra-point attempt was blocked by Brig Walker and returned by Jay McCareins for a two-point defensive conversion.

Penn closed to within 16-13 on a 21-yard pass from McDermott to John McDonald, but Princeton struck twice in the fourth period.

After the Tigers fumbled at Penn’s one-yard line, the Quakers were forced to punt, and two plays later Terrell hit Jon Dekker from 33 yards out with 7:43 left to play.

Princeton recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff and a five-yard run by Teresco completed the scoring.

CORNELL 21, DARTMOUTH 10

HANOVER, N.H.—Cornell’s Ryan Kuhn scored two touchdowns and Luke Siwula had one as each ran for more than 100 yards Saturday in a penalty-filled 21-10 victory.

Cornell (4-4, 2-2 Ivy League) took an early lead when linebacker Joel Sussman intercepted a Josh Cohen pass at the visitors’ 36-yard line and returned it to midfield. Nine plays later, Siwula bulled into the end zone with just 4:46 gone. Dartmouth (2-6, 1-4) kept it close but never caught up.

Kuhn scored his second touchdown on another one-yard run, ending an 11-play 73-yard drive with 53 seconds remaining in the first half. A.J. Weitsman kicked the second of his three extra points and it was 14-3 at the intermission; Erik Hinterbichler had kicked a 38-yard field goal for Dartmouth.

Kuhn put the game out of reach with a 15-yard scoring run up the middle with 5:30 left in the game.

Each team had 13 penalties, Dartmouth losing 86 yards while Cornell was docked 115.

Late in the third quarter, Michael Bolling’s punt rolled out at the Dartmouth two and a penalty moved the locals back to the one. One play later, Cohen and Jason Raiti connected on a 90-yard scoring pass to make things close at 14-10, but Cornell’s defenders stuffed the Big Green to preserve the win and Kuhn’s second TD clinched the victory.

Kuhn had 136 yards rushing while Siwula finished with 130. Cornell’s defense held Dartmouth to minus-one yard rushing in 20 attempts.

Football