Overtime Tally Against Brown Caps Perfect Opening Weekend for Cornell

Brown falls twice in season opening weekend, as Cornell and Colgate claim victory

By Associated press

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Mitch Carefoot’s goal 3:20 into overtime gave Cornell a 3-2 win over Brown on Saturday night.

Carefoot tipped a shot by Cam Abbott past a screened Adam D’Alba. Abbott had two assists.

Matt Moulson gave the Big Red (3-1-0, 2-0-0 ECAC) the lead with a power-play goal just 43 seconds into the game. Topher Scott also scored for Cornell.

Jarrett Robertson had a short-handed goal for the Bears (0-2-0, 0-2-0) and Jeff Prough’s goal at 12:36 of the third period sent the game into overtime.

COLGATE 5, BROWN 0

PROVIDENCE R.I.—Jesse Winchester scored two power-play goals and had an assist and Mark Dekanich made 26 saves to lift Colgate to a 5-0 win over Brown on Friday night.

Colgate (4-1-1, 1-0-0 ECAC) was 4-for-9 on the power play. Tyler Burton had a goal and two assists for the Red Raiders while Jon Smyth had a goal and an assist. Kyle Wilson also had a goal.

Goalie Adam D’Alba made 15 saves for Brown.

NEW HAMPSHIRE 3, NORTHEASTERN 0

DURHAM, N.H.—Kevin Regan made 27 saves for his first career shutout as New Hampshire completed a weekend sweep with a 3-0 win over Northeastern on Saturday night.

Craig Switzer and Jacob Micflikier had a goal and an assist each for the Wildcats (4-3-1, 3-1-0 Hockey East).

Switzer gave New Hampshire the lead just 48 seconds into the game. Micflikier scored a power-play goal at 6:50 of the second period to make it 2-0. Mike Radja made it 3-0 at 8:02 of the third.

The Wildcats outshot Northeastern (0-6-1, 0-3-1) 41-27.

PROVIDENCE 3, MASSACHUSETTS 2

AMHERST, Mass.—Cody Wild scored the game-winner with 1:23 to play as Providence beat Massachusetts 3-2 on Saturday night to complete a weekend sweep of the Minutemen.

The Friars (5-3-0, 4-1-0 Hockey East) led 2-0 after two periods on goals by Tony Zancanaro and James Pemberton.

Massachusetts (1-6, 0-4 Hockey East) pulled even in the third period on goals by Chris Davis and Cory Quirk.

Tyler Sims made 32 saves for Providence. The Friars won 4-2 on Friday.

MAINE 3, MERRIMACK 1

ORONO, Maine—Billy Ryan had a pair of assists Friday night to lead No. 2 Maine to its seventh straight win, 3-1, over Merrimack.

Josh Soares and Greg Moore scored two minutes apart in the first period to put the Black Bears (8-1, 3-0 Hockey East) on top 2-0. Soares flipped a shot over Patrick Watson’s glove 15:34 into the game after Ryan fed him a pass in front of the net. Moore’s goal came on a rebound of a Bret Tyler shot 17:36 into the first.

Ryan set up another goal early in the second period, tracking down a loose puck behind the Merrimack net. Ryan sent the puck back in front to surprised teammate Keenan Hopson, who settled the pass quickly and beat Watson with a backhand shot for a 3-0 Maine lead.

Matt Johnson scored the Warriors’ (3-5, 0-3) only goal during a 5-on-3 advantage just 33 seconds into the third period on a pass from Rob Ricci.

Ben Bishop made 17 saves for the win. Watson stopped 27 shots.

PreviewsMen's Ice Hockey