M. Golf Takes 10th At Championships

By Samantha A. Papadakis, Contributing Writer

The men’s golf team took to the course this weekend for the New England Division I Championship at Providence College and came home with a 10th-place finish out of the 13 teams present. The Crimson shot a combined score of 637—323 on Saturday followed by an improved 314 yesterday.

The poor weather conditions throughout the weekend proved to be a challenging obstacle for Harvard as the team turned in a below-average performance.

“It was a tough weekend in terms of weather,” captain Chris Wu said. “Conditions-wise it was pretty rough. It was a learning experience for some of the younger players.”

Wu, the highest finisher for the Crimson, shot a 76-79—155, good enough for a tied 20th-place finish.

Rain halted the tournament mid-way through yesterday afternoon, resulting in a two-and-a-half-hour delay.

Wu added that the difficult aspect of playing in poor weather conditions is keeping your focus.

“Part of playing in the tough conditions is trying to stay focused on your game,” he said. “But I thought today was a pretty good round for me considering the weather. I played a pretty good short game, but I got a little bit sloppier towards the end.”

Despite below average performances, co-captain D.J. Hynes notes that it was a great learning experience for the younger, less experienced players.

“I think we were hoping to do a little bit better, but it was a good chance for some players to get experience with the competition,” Hynes said.

Hynes shot an 82, 80—162, tying for 41st place. He echoed Wu’s disappointment in his performance.

“I wasn’t very happy with how I played,” Hynes said. “I have never really played this course very well. I never really had a whole lot of luck with it.”

Senior Matt Amis had a noteworthy comeback yesterday, as he redeemed himself from a triple bogey early on. Amis shot a 76, which along with an 83 on Saturday combined to 159, tying for 33rd place.

Men's Golf