Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Pro-Choice Movement at Harvard Alive and Well

By Melissa S Ader, Cara L Lewis, Vanessa V Pratt, and Amanda L. Shapiro

To the editors:

We applaud Paul R. Katz for identifying the urgent need for strong pro-choice action at Harvard and beyond (“Have Pro-Choicers Aborted Ship? op-ed, Jan. 4). At this very moment, reproductive rights are in grave danger. This threat is illustrated by the nomination of anti-choice Samuel Alito to our nation’s highest court and the refusal of pharmacies to stock or dispense emergency contraception, an Food and Drug Administratoin-approved medication that prevents unintended pregnancies and, thus, subsequent abortions.

It is at this critical moment that Harvard needs a strong pro-choice lobby. Unfortunately, due to a turnover in leadership, Students for Choice (SFC) has had a rough start in the ’05-’06 year. However, SFC will be making a strong comeback at the start of the spring semester. By February, we will re-formalize the organization’s structure and goals. We’ll kickoff the semester with a night of art and activism that will bring together Harvard’s pro-choice community. From there, SFC will work to educate the Harvard community on issues of reproductive rights, and will work on local, statewide, and national pro-choice campaigns.

We are extremely excited for the coming semester, and hope that our pro-choice allies will join us in our campaign to protect and expand reproductive rights.

MELISSA S. ADER ’09

CARA L. LEWIS ’06

VANESSA V. PRATT ’08

AMANDA L. SHAPIRO ’ 08

January 8, 2006

The writers are officers of Students for Choice.