NEWS BRIEF: Harvard vice president named to Loews Corporation board of directors

By Alexander H. Greeley, Crimson Staff Writer

Vice President for Finance Ann E. Berman was named to the board of directors of Loews Corporation on Tuesday.

Loews Corporation is a holding company that wholly or partially owns a wide-range of companies that include Bulova, an American watchmaker, Loews Hotels, a luxury hotel operator, and Boardwalk Pipeline Partners, natural gas transporters and storers.

Berman joins Joseph L. Bower, David professor of business administration, on the Loews Board of Directors. Bower was elected to the board in 2001.

Berman is also on the board of directors of the Harvard Management Company, the University’s endowment management arm.

Berman joins several other Harvard professors and administrators who serve on corporate boards.

Lawrence University Professor Michael E. Porter, for example, holds numerous corporate board positions, such as Parametric Technology Corporation, Thermo Electron Corporation, and Inforte Corporation.

Berman is scheduled to depart from her post in April after over a decade of service for the University in order to pursue an interest in foreign languages in Italy.

She will then return to Cambridge in an as-of-yet unspecified advisory role for the University.

—Staff writer Alexander H. Greeley can be reached at agreeley@fas.harvard.edu.