Forced Out by President, Kirby Resigns

Kirby to leave office at the end of this academic year, move to Fairbank Center for East Asian Research

University President Lawrence H. Summers and Dean of the Faculty William C. Kirby, pictured here in September 2004, have long had a strained relationship, culminating in Kirby’s resignation on Friday. The dean said he would step down from his post and ret
By Evan H. Jacobs and Zachary M. Seward, Crimson Staff Writerss

Forced to resign his post, Dean of the Faculty William C. Kirby said on Friday night that he will step down on June 30 at the end of four turbulent years in which he quickly lost favor with University President Lawrence H. Summers.

Kirby was fired by Summers, according to four people close to the central administration, though neither the dean nor the president acknowledged their falling-out in letters released Friday. Kirby’s announcement, between semesters at the College, leaves the Faculty of Arts and Sciences in limbo as the school contends with a growing budget deficit and a curricular review beset by criticism and delays.

The firing also underscores the ongoing tension between Summers and members of the Faculty, who approved an unprecedented motion of no-confidence in the president last spring.

“The events of the past year have posed serious challenges,” Kirby wrote in a letter to the Faculty. “Yet we have continued to focus on the essential business before us. As we look to the future, it will be important for the President and the Dean to work closely together, in collaboration with the Faculty, toward our common objectives.”

Summers planned to fire Kirby last year, but the plan was put on hold amid the Faculty uproar over the president’s own leadership, according to two individuals who discussed Kirby’s status this month with a member of the Harvard Corporation, the University’s top governing board. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because the University’s employment decisions are considered private.

In a letter to the Harvard community on Friday night, Summers praised Kirby for guiding the Faculty “through what has been a not-uncomplicated time in the life of the University.”

The president wrote that Kirby, a scholar of Chinese history and culture, will become director of Harvard’s Fairbank Center for East Asian Research this summer. The search for Kirby’s replacement as dean will begin immediately, Summers wrote. (See story here.)

Kirby did not originally intend to announce his resignation on Friday. He was in New York City for a meeting, and President Summers was in Davos, Switzerland for the World Economic Forum.

According to one individual who was informed by a member of the Corporation, Kirby planned to make the announcement in his annual letter to the Faculty, which is typically released at the beginning of February. But the announcement was abruptly moved forward after The Crimson informed Kirby and other University officials on Friday afternoon that the newspaper was poised to report news of Kirby’s planned resignation.

LEADERSHIP WOES

Kirby’s tenure, which began in July 2002, has been dominated largely by the Harvard College Curricular Review, which has been plagued by criticism that it lacks ground-breaking ideas and a strong guiding philosophy. Progress on the review stalled last year while the Faculty’s attention was occupied by debate over Summers.

But just one week ago, Kirby announced that the review was finally moving “to a term of formal discussion and decision” that will include Faculty votes on major changes to Harvard’s general-education and concentration requirements. Kirby said those votes were likely to occur this spring.

Another major focus of Kirby’s tenure has been the Faculty budget, which dipped into the red this fiscal year and is projected to post an annual deficit above $100 million by 2010.

Kirby has said the deficit is a result of heavy investment in hiring faculty and building new facilities, such as the recently opened Center for Government and International Studies. The Faculty is instituting a multi-faceted plan that includes decapitalizing the school’s endowment in order to pay for the deficit.

But the budget deficit and delays in the curricular review have frustrated Summers, according to the two individuals who have spoken to a member of the Corporation about Kirby. Those concerns, along with their tenuous working relationship, led Summers to lose confidence in Kirby as long as two years ago, the sources said.

Summers initially served as an ex officio member of the curricular review’s Committee on General Education, which Kirby chaired, but the president ended his participation in the review after professors complained that Summers was exerting too much influence on their deliberations.

The Caucus of Chairs, a group of Faculty department chairs, have also criticized the relationship between Kirby and Summers, arguing that the dean and University Hall are not sufficiently independent from the president’s office in Massachusetts Hall, according to informal minutes of the group’s fall meetings.

RETURNING TO ACADEMICS

Kirby, who is also the Geisinger professor of history, wrote in his letter on Friday night that he was eager to return to his academic pursuits.

“For myself, the allure and the increasingly dynamic nature of my field of study—modern and contemporary China—have made my decision a timely and compelling one,” he wrote.

Williams Professor of History and Political Science Roderick MacFarquhar, the interim director of the Fairbank Center who Kirby will replace, said that he thought Kirby would be “warmly received” by others at the center.

MacFarquhar added that Kirby’s experience with Chinese history makes him a natural choice to lead the center.

“I thought he was going to be director of the Fairbank Center years and years ago,” said MacFarquhar. “Instead, he has taken a long detour.”

Kirby wrote in an e-mail last night that he has several priorities as director of the Fairbank Center, including “to work with faculty to keep (or where need be, make) Harvard pre-eminent in the study of China and as the key locus in this country for scholarly inquiry on China.”

Kirby added that he plans to return to teaching a Core course, Historical Studies A-74, “Contemporary China: The People’s Republic and Taiwan in the Modern World,” next spring.

A SHORT TERM

Kirby’s resignation after four years as dean makes his tenure the shortest of anyone to hold the position since 1973.

Both Jeremy R. Knowles and Henry Rosovsky, two of Kirby’s predecessors, served for just over 10 years each. Rosovsky was dean from 1973 to 1984, and Knowles was dean from 1991 to 2002.

Another former dean of the Faculty, A. Michael Spence, surprised the campus in late March 1990, when he announced he would resign in June of that year to become dean of Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business. He had been dean of the Faculty for six years.

The shortest tenure of any dean of the Faculty in recent memory was that of John T. Dunlop, who served from 1970 to 1973 and resigned to replace Donald Rumsfeld as head of the Cost of Living Council in the Nixon administration.

—Staff writer Evan H. Jacobs can be reached at ehjacobs@fas.harvard.edu.
—Staff writer Zachary M. Seward can be reached at seward@fas.harvard.edu.