Depression A Very Real Reality Among Undergrads

By Paul J. Barreira

To the editors:

Lucy Caldwell’s Comment of Mar. 20 (“Depressed?”) contains many misleading and erroneous notions about depression and its treatment.

First, Caldwell suggests that Harvard is attempting to shape its students into a “tribe of perky people gushing” and states “the college is running on antidepressants.” The facts do not back up her suggestion. The number of students who are prescribed antidepressants is very small—approximately 7 percent. Moreover, antidepressant medications have no “street value” since they do not induce what Caldwell describes as a happy feeling. There also can be bothersome side effects. Indeed, only people who are experiencing a significant depression gain any benefit from antidepressant medications.

Second, the number of students who report, at one time or another, feeling significantly depressed at Harvard during their four years here mirrors the national data reported in the National College Health Assessment—namely close to 50 percent. This has been consistent over a number of years. Therefore it is not simply a Harvard phenomenon, but a product of age and difficulties arising from significant changes and challenges.

The biggest obstacle to students and other people seeking help for a significant depression is the notion that what they are experiencing isn’t real or is out of the ordinary and can’t be helped.

PAUL J. BARREIRA

Cambridge, Mass.

March 23, 2006

The writer is Director of the Department of Behavioral Health and Academic Counseling at Harvard University Health Services.