November is to baseball fans as the end of party grants is to Currier’s Ten Man: game over. Though Boston Red Sox followers have been spoiled recently—two World Series titles in four years—it is time to face reality. The season’s over. Retire the jersey and don something with long sleeves.
Luckily, for those of you who need to relive the magic, Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore’s lighthearted romantic comedy “Fever Pitch” (2005) remains a solid home-run flick to hold you over until spring training. While Lindsey (Barrymore) tries to discern if schoolteacher Ben (Fallon) is more smitten with her or the Sox, you can watch the team sink one after another into deep left field.
But if that’s not enough (for those 21 years of age and older, that is), take this off-season remedy to the next level: read on.
TAKE A SHOT...
1. When Ben attempts to do something sentimental. Buying Red Sox baby pajamas is a prime example.
2. Every time you find yourself thinking Ben would be a cool teacher. Yes, we are that nerdy.
3. For every piece of Ben’s baseball paraphernalia that you actually own. If you have the Yankees-logo toilet paper or the catcher’s mitt phone, just kill the bottle.
4. If you’ve done the following movie-moments at a baseball game: Take one if you ate a hotdog, two if you worked on your laptop, and three if you jumped the outfield fence. Four if it was the Green Monster.
5. Take an extra shot if your glass has the Sox logo on it.
6. Cheers to every time Ben picks the Sox over Lindsey. We know where his true love lies.
ON DECKTOMORROW Baseball vs. CS-Fullerton (at LSU), 3 p.m. FRIDAY Baseball TBA (at LSU) SATURDAY Baseball TBA (at LSU, if necessary)
For Bostonians, Baseball and Fenway Are Reminders of an Idyllic PastBOSTON--"Safe at home! Safe at home!" Loud, chaotic, yet inviting, the cheers surround Fenway Park, one of the defining features
Why Baseball, Exactly?October Fever. The Big Dance. The Fall Classic. Affectionately nicknamed over and over again, the allure of the World Series
ScoreboardTODAY'S GAMES Women's softball at Wheaton SPRING BREAK RESULTS NCAA Semifinal Men's hockey 5, Minnesota 3 NCAA Final Wisconsin 6,
Offseason Blunders Start In Sox's BoothThe season is five months away, and already the Boston Red Sox are screwing up. Things were looking so promising,