POPSCREEN: The Killers ft. Lou Reed

"Tranquilize" - Dir. Anthony Mandler

By Nathaniel C. Donoghue, Contributing Writer

Odd but strangely captivating, “Tranquilize” is a big step for the Killers. The glam-rock group has departed from the fluffy pop that characterized their debut, “Hot Fuss.” “Tranquilize,” the second single off their new compilation album “Sawdust,” assails the listener with disjointed melodies and varied vocals. It gets better with each listen and should eventually win over those who are disaffected by their newfound gloom.

Set in an abandoned house, the video immediately fits the dark and disturbing music. Half-lit figures and faces shrouded in mist create an unnatural, drugged-out feeling, making the whole thing feels like a séance. Killers frontman Brandon Flowers, wanders around seemingly deserted rooms and communes with the rest of the band. He looks pretty messed up, an impression that’s only reinforced by his hazy surroundings.

Bizarrely, the video features a piano-playing Lou Reed, whose gravelly voice and wrinkled face offer an interesting counterpart to the boyish Flowers. A choir of children cuts in and occasionally appears in a room previously occupied only by Flowers, making us wonder whether he’s hallucinating or lost in an old memory.

Flowers ends up searching for something in the house’s dark hallways with a floodlight, and finally seems to see Lou Reed, who has been in front of him all along.

Here the music changes and the formerly driving bassline drops out. Flowers finally addresses Lou Reed directly and calmly sings his way to the end of this bizarre and captivating trip.

Like the song, this video demands a second viewing for the watcher to fully appreciate everything that’s going on. At first it seems overwhelming and poorly put together; this ain’t no “Mr. Brightside,” and the Killers aren’t offering instant gratification here. But delve deeper and what at first was a confusing, dissonant video becomes a hauntingly beautiful experience.