Counter Honored for Service

By Jessica A. Estep, Contributing Writer

S. Allen Counter, director of the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations, will stand alongside Gov. Deval L. Patrick ’78 tomorrow at an event that will honor each man’s service to the state’s community of African-American males.

Counter, an associate professor of neurology and neuroscience, will receive the recognition from the Concerned Black Men of Massachusetts largely for his work within the greater Boston community, in particular the science programs he has conducted to encourage more young black boys and girls to go into science.

“I’ve helped to train them in the area of science in hopes they would make something great of themselves,” Counter said in an interview yesterday.

“Young black boys in particular are at risk because of poor educational programs, lack of job opportunities for their parents, and brutality by policemen,” Counter added. “I try to encourage young black men to develop family values, honesty, and a commitment to learning and education.”

Counter has directed the Harvard Foundation for 26 years, and for the last 14 of those years he has overseen its annual science conference—its “day of science”—which brings about 100 students of all ages to Harvard to learn about scientific endeavors from professors and undergraduates.

Counter said he felt that community service was the “responsibility of all faculty and administrators at Harvard.”

Charles J. Hamilton ’07, president of the Harvard Black Men’s Forum, said that while he has not attended the foundation’s science conferences—Hamilton is a government concentrator—he strongly supports the program’s mission.

“If you look at Harvard and you look at the science community, overwhelmingly it’s dominated by white males,” he said. “To have the opportunity to bring in young, black inner-city youth to such a day is absolutely fantastic.”

Director of Life Sciences Education Robert A. Lue, who sits on the Harvard Foundation’s faculty advisory committee, said of Counter, “I can’t imagine someone more deserving of this award. He’s a real treasure of this university.”

Patrick is the first African-American governor of Massachusetts and a former Dunster House resident. His deputy press secretary said yesterday that the governor is “tremendously honored to be selected for this award.”

The Concerned Black Men of Massachusetts will honor Counter and Patrick at its 18th Annual Andrew J. Davis Unity Breakfast. Saturday’s event will be held in the Cambridge Center Marriott in Kendall Square.