Caputo Returns to Challenge for Title

Returning from last year’s season-ending knee injury, co-captain Louis Caputo looks to not only garner individual accolades—as he will likely compete for the national title—but also to help his team succeed.
By Max N. Brondfield, Crimson Staff Writer

It would be premature to give out the Comeback Player of the Year award three months into the school year, but the Crimson’s Louis Caputo has a tremendous head start.

Harvard wrestling suffered a devastating blow last spring, when the already-ailing co-captain endured a knee injury that shelved the grappler for an entire semester.

Ranked eighth in the nation after an All-American sophomore campaign in 2007, Caputo looked to have a breakout season, but he instead found himself on hiatus from Harvard, preserving his final two years of eligibility by taking the semester off.

Still, as the Blue Springs, Mo. native has proven time and again, his heart never strayed far from the Crimson singlet.

“I’m excited to come back and compete,” Caputo says. “It was devastating to be plagued with injuries after sophomore year, but I realize now that my time left competing in college is coming to an end, and I want to make the most of it.”

With characteristic focus, Caputo (184 lbs.) has done just that, tearing into his third campaign without a hint of lingering problems, much to the delight of his teammates.

“It’s great having him back,” junior heavyweight Andrew Knapp says. “Everyone on the team looks up to him because of the way he wrestles. He never gives up on anything.”

This gritty approach makes the soft-spoken grappler a terror for opponents, as all five foes in last weekend’s Binghamton Brute Open quickly discovered. In his highly anticipated return to action, the No. 4 wrestler in the nation dispatched the field with two falls and three decisions, leaving little doubt that Caputo has maintained his ample skill.

“He wrestles the way every coach will tell you to wrestle,” Knapp adds. “There’s no stopping, no loss of focus.”

Caputo’s tenacious approach on the mat not only inspires his peers, but has left an impression on the coaching staff as well.

“He’s a very punishing wrestler,” Harvard coach Jay Weiss says. “He’s like a bull out there. He just does a few things, but he does them very well, and when you have someone like that, people follow.”

Despite all the excitement surrounding Caputo’s potential in bouts, it seems the squad has even more respect for the All-American’s role off the mat.

“I couldn’t ask for a better co-captain,” junior J.P. O’Connor praises. “He does everything right, academically and athletically. He’s a great role model for the young guys and for me as well.”

“There’s nothing bad you can say about him,” Knapp adds. “He’s the ideal captain and teammate.”

While such support from those who know him best already reflects well on the senior standout, Caputo has also begun to enjoy recognition at the national level.

On Nov. 24th, all eyes will be on the talented grappler, as he travels to Columbus, Ohio for the 43rd NWCA All-Star Classic. As only the second Harvard grappler to ever compete in the event, Caputo will challenge No. 3 Phil Keddy of Iowa in a one-match brawl, meant to showcase the highest echelon of collegiate wrestling.

“It’s one of the biggest honors you can get at this level and it speaks volumes about the wrestler Louis is,” O’Connor says. “It shows that he is absolutely in the hunt to win a national title.”

The prospect of such a feat, which would allow Caputo to join John Harkness ’38 and Jesse Jantzen ’04 as the only national champions ever to don crimson, could consume the focus of any athlete. While the senior undoubtedly has the potential to achieve this goal, the humble All-Star deflects too much individual attention.

“The drive is to win a national title, and I have the resources here at Harvard to do that,” Caputo explains. “More importantly, though, I want the team to reach its potential, and I think we’re on our way.”

It may not be rare for athletes to speak of a “team first” mentality, but in a format that hinges on one-on-one battles, Weiss recognizes the value of his captain’s mentality.

“It’s very difficult in an individual sport to focus on the bigger picture when you’re training to be a national champion,” Weiss observes. “But [Caputo] is really concerning himself with his teammates, which is admirable. I’m very fortunate to have the leaders we have on this team.”

At such an early point in the season, the possibility of championships for Caputo and the No. 25 Crimson remains to be seen. But, after only a week of competition one fact has become clear: as meaningful as donning the Harvard singlet is for the senior grappler, his impact in every facet of the program makes the comeback invaluable to those around him.

—Staff writer Max N. Brondfield can be reached at mbrondf@fas.harvard.edu.

Wrestling