Institute of Politics Hosts Global Health Panel

Julio Frenk, the dean designate of the Harvard School of Public Health, speaks about the priorities for Global Health for the next Congress while his soon-to-be predecessor, Barry R. Bloom, looks on.
By Lauren J. Vargas, Contributing Writer

Newly elected members of Congress gathered with students and faculty yesterday for a panel that encouraged U.S. leadership in sustaining global health efforts despite a tough economy.

The panel entitled “Priorities in Global Health for the Next Congress” was hosted by the Institute of Politics and featured Dean of the Harvard School of Public Health, Dr. Barry R. Bloom as moderator. The panelists included Dr. David E. Bloom, chair of the Department of Population and International Health at HSPH; Dr. Julio J. Frenk, HSPH dean designate; and Dr. Rajeev Venkayya, director of the Global Health Program at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

The forum was directed at the newly elected members of Congress who are participating in a program at the IOP this week. Speaking to the new representatives, Barry Bloom discussed America’s role in global health.

“One of the questions I think we need to consider is who cares about global health. In polls taken, 80 percent of Americans think global health is important and that the U.S. doesn’t spend enough,” he said.

Frenk, formerly Mexico’s minister of health, began his remarks by noting that Congress participation is integral in this arena.

“Health is no longer the domain of the medical experts,” he said. “We live in an interrelated world. We know today that investing in health is the best way to create prosperity and security for everyone.”

All three panelists noted the economic benefits that come with increased efforts in the area of global health.

“The rate of return on vaccinations is at least as high as benefits of education,” Bloom said.

Venkayya also spoke about going beyond throwing money at the problem.

“Buying vaccines and medicines will only get you so far. Other things require a more sustained commitment,” Venkayya said.

All three panelists agreed that it would be disastrous to reduce spending on global health because of the current financial crisis. In fact, they said that increased efforts in global health could actually spur the economy, a surprising view to the students attending the panel. “I thought all the perspectives were interesting in terms of the U.S. playing a role as a leader, and the necessity for global health spending during this financial crisis,” said Lulu R. Tsao ’12.

Alexandra P. Greenfield ’09, a student in Anthropology 1825: “Health, Cure and Community: Case Studies in Global Health,” said she felt encouraged by the panelists’ approach to policy.

“I was really impressed, and it was really exciting to hear from people who I’ve heard about in global health courses,” she said.