HRTV Makes 'Hardcore' Sexual Analysis

By Ama R. Francis, Contributing Writer

Sex and Social Analysis dominate “The Hard Core,” a new online comedy on Harvard-Radcliffe Television (HRTV). More than just producing a television program, creators Andrew N. Wesman ’10, Samuel H. Lemberg ’10, and Alexander J. Berman ’10 are experimenting with filmmaking by adding interactive elements.

Beginning April 3, they will release an episode every two weeks that chronicles the experiences of six students taking the fictional Social Analysis 68: “Sexual Economics,” with Professor Epstein, a sexually ambiguous nymphomaniac who proposes sexual hypotheses that they must test. In addition to the show, they are designing a website on which Harvard students can share their sexual testimonies. Berman, the producer, hopes that viewers will take advantage of both aspects. “You can immerse yourself in the show,” he says.

Berman also notes that the characters are archetypes that are deconstructed through sexual encounters. The awkward and socially unfortunate nerd gets lucky with the help of his roommate, while the over-achieving student fails when it comes to coitus. “We’re all alike when it comes to sex,” director Wesman says.

Much of the show’s humor is derived from the juxtaposition of the academic and the sexual. In one of the first episodes, Colleen, a woman who is obsessed with success but is also wondrously lazy, and Dunston, a suave private school squash player, must assess the theory of countervalence of the auditory and the physical in intimate experiences. (In simple terms, the characters must detail their experiences with dirty talk during sex.) And as typical Harvard students, they attack the assignment with great vigor.

Antonio J. Hernandez ’10, the executive producer of “Ivory Tower,” says, “It’s an interesting idea...It’s aimed to titillate.” However, the creators of “The Hard Core” also plan to incorporate veritable economic and sexual facts, providing the viewer with real social analysis.

Though the comedy is somewhat outlandish, the creators emphasize that it is an important experiment in Harvard filmmaking. “The Hard Core” will be accompanied by a Harvard course website imitation. “Lecture videos” will be posted, along with a blogspot managed by the actors. Harvard students will also be able to share testimonials about their own sexual experiences and leave feedback about the plot and characters’ lives.

“The Hard Core” goes even further in viewer participation than television reality shows like “The Real World.” Stories shared on the website about sexual intimacy at Harvard may be incorporated into the script and may even serve as the main basis for new episodes.“The show is a pioneer in that we’re exploring the space outside of the dramatic episode,” Berman says.

The creators hope that the new series will become part of Harvard life in a very tangible way. “It will be part of the Harvard community,” Berman says.

“Harvard students love to be provocative,” HRTV President Michael C. Koenigs ’09 says. “This one is unparalleled.”