Adversity Fuels Harvard Road Warriors

The Crimson is hungry for a league title after a year away from postseason play, but will have to win away from home to compete with Ivy's best

By Nick Traverse, Crimson Staff Writer

Here we go again.

For the third year in a row, Baseball America, one of the preeminent authorities on the sport, has tabbed the Crimson as the team to beat in the Ivy League.

Harvard was also the preseason favorite in 2006 and 2007, but the Crimson fell short both years to Princeton and Brown, respectively.

Lofty expectations are the name of the game.

“Aww man, it’s every year,” head coach Joe Walsh grumbles. “It’s how you’re playing. It’s who’s healthy at the end. Who wants it more?”

Currently, Harvard is dealing with some losses, many due to injuries. But sophomore Max Perlman, who went 5-1 with a 2.91 ERA last year, will not be with the Crimson this go around for disciplinary reasons.

“That’s a big loss,” Walsh says. “Without him at the top of our rotation, it’s going to be real tough. We’re looking forward to Max coming back next year.”

Despite missing one of its aces, Harvard still enters 2008 stacked with talent, versatility, and some returning veterans refueled for another shot at the Ivy League title.

Senior starting pitcher Shawn Haviland—who put up a 3-3 record and a 4.26 ERA last year while struggling with a stress fracture in his ribs—enters 2008 healthy and ready to go. He will provide a key experienced presence in the rotation.

“The kid wants it,” Walsh says. “I don’t know if I’ve ever wanted anybody more on the mound than Haviland in a big game. ”

Haviland joins returning starters senior Brad Unger and sophomore Eric Eadington to round out one of the more formidable rotations in the league.

“I think our top three will stack up against anyone,” Eadington said. “I think we’re the best rotation in the Ivies this season.”

Of course, pitching alone won’t carry the Crimson through the season. A platoon of returning position players, along with some newcomers, will anchor the Harvard squad offensively and defensively, filling the void left by departed stars such as Steffan Wilson—now a pro in Milwaukee Brewers system and a major middle of the lineup presence last year.

Captain Matt Vance looks to be a key role player throughout the lineup.

“You could put him anywhere,” junior infielder Harry Douglas says. “He’s got the type of power to hit in the three or four hole, but he’s got the type of speed and average to hit in the one hole.”

Other potential standouts include senior Jeff Stoeckel—who will flash the leather at shortstop—senior outfielder Tom Stack-Babich—who had great run in the summer leagues—and Douglas, who is finally healthy after a string of injuries.

“Obviously, scoring runs is the name of the game,” Walsh says. “I don’t think at this point we can say these are the nine guys that we really feel are going to be in that lineup day-to-day. I think we’ll know once we get back from our spring trip to California.”

After last season’s second-place finish to Brown in the Ivy League’s Rolfe Division, Harvard is out to make a statement this year.

“We’re trying to get over it and look ahead,” Walsh says. “But we’ve got a bad taste in our mouths. We want to win this thing. We want to get back to the Ivies.”

The hungry Crimson squad is wasting no time in making some noise. Its 2008 championship pursuit will start with what is arguably one of the most difficult non-conference schedules in the country.

Three big road trips will make up Harvard’s first 20 games. The Crimson opened its season with a three-game series at No. 16 Wichita State in Kansas last weekend. This weekend, the squad heads south to Florida for four contests before trekking westward to California for a week of games during spring break.

Opponents on Harvard’s relentless non-league schedule include powerhouse west coast programs San Diego, UC Riverside, and UC Irvine—a 2007 College World Series participant.

“The schedule we’re playing this year is incredible,” Walsh says. “We’re seeing three teams that have been ranked in the top 10. We’re going to find out real quick what kind of ballclub we have.”

Much like their coach, the players aren’t shying away from the challenge.

“We know these teams are going to be some of the best in the country,” Douglas says. “We’re looking forward to trying to test ourselves against them, seeing how we can do and then coming back and going strong into the Ivy.”

The first break on the nationwide campaign will come on March 29th, when Harvard returns to the Northeast for Ivy League clashes with Cornell and Princeton. On April 5th, the Crimson will finally come home for its first game at O’Donnell Field.

It will be one of only five dates Harvard spends at home the entire season.

“Five dates at home. Can you imagine that?” Walsh says. “I’d like it to be 50-50, but that’s just the way things worked out.”

If all goes according to plan, things will work out with the elusive championship for the Crimson.

PreviewsBaseball