Student Arrested After Altercation

By Michal Labik, Crimson Staff Writer

Jeremy D. Hoon ’10 was arrested for three counts of assault and battery on a police officer, assault on another individual, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest early Saturday morning, according to the Harvard police log.

Police officers saw Hoon fighting with another individual and tried to separate them, according to the log. Hoon continued to struggle and kicked one of the officers in the chest and shoulder. Hoon also struck one officer again while his information was being recorded.

Hoon, who lives in Currier House, is concentrating in computer science and is a member of the swimming and diving team.

The case is currently in the court system, according to Harvard University Police Department spokesperson Steven G. Catalano, who declined to comment on the incident.

But according to the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, there hasn’t been a criminal complaint filed, and Hoon had not been arraigned as of yesterday afternoon.

Hoon said in an e-mail yesterday that he would not comment due to the ongoing legal proceedings.

“Jeremy has never demonstrated any violent behavior,” according to someone familiar with the situation. “This is an extremely out-of-character event that is possible only under toxic amounts of alcohol, which is also highly unusual for Jeremy.”

The incident took place on Saturday at 1:28 a.m. in Cambridge Common. The other individual involved in the fight was not identified.

C. Casey Hart, the assistant director of athletic communications, did not specify the possible consequences from the incident. “We don’t have a set department-wide policy on dealing with those things beyond what the University does,” he said. “The decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.”

According to Massachusetts law, assault and battery upon a public employee can be punished by up to two and a half years in a house of correction or by a fine of up to $5,000.

“Jeremy is a great kid and there’s nothing to be addressed here,” said Tim Murphy, the head swimming and diving coach.

­—Staff writer Michal Labik can be reached at labik@fas.harvard.edu.