Harvard Promotes Shopping in Square

By Kerry K. Clark, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite the busier weeks leading up to winter break this year due to the new academic calendar, administrators are encouraging students and faculty to shop in Harvard Square for their holiday needs as part of an effort to support local businesses through a tough economy and to meet the University’s sustainability goals.

University President Drew G. Faust kicked off the “Think Harvard Square” initiative last week by shopping in the Square for people on her list as well as for the Phillips Brooks House Association’s Holiday Gift Drive.

“Think Harvard Square” aims to promote local businesses during this year’s Sparklefest, the month-long celebration of the holidays in Harvard Square which includes the opening of the skating rink,  festive lighting in the Square, and the annual “Everyone Loves Latkes Party!”

The University has a long history of owning property in Harvard Square, but previous efforts to promote local businesses—such as running ads in The Crimson—were more subtle. The “Think Harvard Square” campaign marks the first year the University is directly involved with planning Sparklefest, according to James W. Gray, associate vice president of Harvard Real Estate Services.

Christine M. Heenan, the University’s vice president of government, community and public affairs, added that this is a “building year” for the University’s involvement in the Square.

“[The Harvard Square Business Association] and the University want to have more running room with it next year,” Heenan said, “and have a sustained awareness.”

Harvard is concerned about the well being of local shops in light of the economic situation and this is partially what prompted the University to take a more direct role, according to Gray.

In addition to economic concerns, Heenan said that Faust’s sustainability initiative also played a role in the University’s increased involvement.

“Thinking and shopping local is a key strength for promoting sustainability,” Heenan said.

As the University makes a special effort to reach out during this Sparklefest, some Harvard Square businesses are also offering unique promotions.

Francesca Cardullo, a co-owner of Cardullo’s Gourmet Shoppe, said that her store has made improvements for this holiday season, including accepting Crimson Cash and re-carpeting their store.

Sarah Graham, a sales associate at Mint Julep, explained that the store is a running a one-day “Shop to Give” event during Sparklefest that will give 50% of proceeds  to the Boys and Girls Club of Middlesex County.

The idea is “just to give back to the community and to be an example to other businesses,” said Graham.

—Staff writer Kerry K. Clark can be reached at kclark@fas.harvard.edu.

Harvard in the CityCambridge