Virgin America Comes to Logan

New flights will go to San Fransisco and LA

By Kristi J. bradford, Contributing Writer

Students who regularly travel to the west coast received more options for travel when Virgin America began service at Boston Logan International Airport on Feb. 11.

Virgin is offering two round-trip flights daily to San Francisco International Airport and three to Los Angeles International Airport starting at $109 one way, according to the company’s Feb. 11 press release.

Kacie M. Rounds ‘11, who often uses United Airlines from Logan to both San Francisco and Los Angeles, said she might use Virgin America’s new service in the future.

“It should be cheaper than United,” she said.

The San-Francisco-based company decided to start flying out of Boston because “it is a top destination from the San Francisco Bay Area and also LAX” said Patricia Condon, a spokeswoman for Virgin America.

For the airline’s maiden flight from San Francisco to Boston, Harvard’s Hasty Pudding Theatricals—in drag as usual–welcomed the travelers on arrival.

The Pudding’s plan was to give their signature kiss to Richard Branson, the founder and president of Virgin, during the press conference about the new flights to Boston, said Pudding member Joshua E. Lachter ’09. But the day before the press conference was to take place, Branson heard about the Pudding’s plan and he wanted to be in on it.

“To everyone’s surprise he came out in drag,” Lachter said.

Virgin America President and CEO C. David Cush was also present at the launch, though not in drag.

Hasty Pudding ended up involved with the event due to the timing of the launch and the Pudding’s Woman of the Year Parade. According to Lachter, Virgin America approached the Pudding about being in the Woman of the Year Parade, which began a larger partnership between the two groups.

Hasty Pudding’s members Christopher R. Schleicher ‘09 and David J. Smolinsky ‘11 were also present for the event, according to Pudding spokeswoman Talisa B. Friedman ’10.

“We were absolutely thrilled to have Hasty Pudding’s participation in our press conference upon the arrival of the inaugural flight,” said Condon.

The new flights come the same month as Southwest Airlines announced their intent to begin service out of Logan next fall.

The San Francisco based airline was launched in 2007 and currently services seven cities with its fleet of Airbus A320 Aircraft.