For Ladysmith, Love Is as Easy as ABC

Ladysmith Black Mambazo’s message of peace moves from Sesame Street to Sanders

By Jillian J. Goodman, Crimson Staff Writer

For those of us just exiting our teen years and entering our twenties, Ladysmith Black Mambazo is an inextricable part of our childhoods­—whether you know who they are or not. How many of us are unable to recall the rough velvet vocals of the “Life...savers...Mmmmmmmmm” jingle, or the Serengeti-style rendition of Sesame Street’s Alphabet Song?

Since 1987, when Paul Simon produced the group’s first American record, “Shaka Zulu,” Ladysmith Black Mambazo has been our country’s ambassador for African music. On February 7, they bring their unmistakable sound to Sanders Theatre, returning for the fourth time in as many years.

Before Simon brought Ladysmith to the world’s attention, the group had been singing together for some 26 years under the leadership of founder Joseph Shabalala. Shabalala, a farmer and factory worker, named the group in part after his hometown of Ladysmith, South Africa. The group’s name reflects Shabalala’s heritage: “Black” stands for the most powerful animal on an African farm, the black ox, and “Mambazo” is the Zulu word for “axe.”

Shabalala left the town of Ladysmith for the city of Durbin in 1959 because he wanted to make music that fused the traditions of his hometown with a modern, national sound. “I have a sound,” Shabalala says. “I have a dream. I have something that we can do better.”

Albert Mazibuko, the group’s current spokesman, joined Ladysmith Black Mambazo during a time of transition. According to Mazibuko, Shabalala had dissolved his previous group shortly before approaching Mazibuko, his cousin. Almost 50 years later, Shabalala still leads the group, which now includes Mazibuko and four of Shabalala’s sons.

The importance of family has always been a part of Ladysmith Black Mambazo’s essential image, which famously projects a message of cooperation and understanding.

“It’s a message of love,” Mazibuko says. “It’s a message of peace. It’s a message of encouraging people to speak together and work together and share ideas, work together young and old.”

Not only did this ideal make Ladysmith a natural match for Paul Simon and Sesame Street, it also enabled them to spread their message of understanding into the political realm as cultural ambassadors. Anti-apartheid activists in South Africa and abroad took Ladysmith Black Mambazo’s music as an unofficial anthem. In 1994, the group performed at the inauguration of Nelson Mandela, the first black president of South Africa.

Shabalala and company have hardly slowed down since, producing a steady stream of recordings and maintaining an energetic touring schedule.

“Every time when we perform, we feel that people never get enough of us,” Mazibuko says. “So now we decided to make a DVD with the live performance, so that they can be able to take us out when they are home and relaxing, and learn more about group. In interviews we talk about [our] lives, how we became involved, what the music does to us, all those things.”

Mazibuko says the group is excited to be returning to Harvard, having sold out Sanders Theatre just last January. They will be performing the show as recorded on their DVD, titled “Ladysmith Black Mambazo Live!” It includes old favorites like “Nomathemba,” one of the first songs Joseph Shabalala wrote for the group, as well as others like “Ekuhlupekeni,” all of which reflect the group’s gospel ideals.

Unfortunately, the Alphabet Song and the Lifesavers jingle are not included in their concert repertoire. Ladysmith Black Mambazo will, however, be inviting audience members to sing and dance along with them. It’s all a part of their time-tested tradition of unity and cooperation.

“The message goes with the times,” Mazibuko says. “The message is strong and in harmony. Joseph makes sure everything is together, so we don’t want to change that.”

—Staff Writer Jillian J. Goodman can be reached at jjgoodm@fas.harvard.edu.