Police Log: Weekend Heavy on Local Crime

By Emily J. Hogan, Crimson Staff Writer

This weekend saw heightened police activity and a seemingly usual number of incidents around Harvard Square. The eventful Prefrosh weekend followed two allegedly attempted armed robberies last Wednesday and Friday. According to the Harvard University Police Department public log, the following are among the incidents reported this weekend.

4/24/09

9:25 a.m.—An officer observed two individuals possibly urinating on the Weld Boathouse. The officer conducted a field interview with the individuals who were checked for wants and warrants with negative results.

11:48 p.m.—Officers were dispatched to investigate a report of the smell of marijuana at Pennypacker Hall South. Officers searched the building for the odor with negative results.

4/25/09

1:51 a.m.—Officers were dispatched to investigate a report of an individual chasing other individuals around a gate in Harvard Yard. The officer reported that the individual was an affiliate and was not chasing anyone.

2:18 a.m.—Officers were dispatched to 54 Dunster St. to assist Cambridge Police Department officers with individuals fighting.

3:30 a.m.—Officers were dispatched to Quincy House Dining Hall to investigate a report of broken glass. Upon arrival, officers reported that windows were broken and bread crates had been thrown around the area. The officers located the individual who became combative with officers. Michael Crawford of Duxbury, MA, was charged with malicious destruction of property and placed under arrest.

4/26/09

1:37 a.m.—Officers were dispatched to the Owl Club to assist CPD with a noise complaint.

1:43 a.m.—Officers were dispatched to the Spee Club to assist CPD in clearing out a party.

2:12 a.m.—Officers assisted CPD in breaking up a fight at JFK Street and Mt. Auburn Street. Cambridge Police placed one individual under arrest.

2:07 p.m.—An officer was dispatched to investigate a report of a suspicious odor in Leverett House G Tower. The officer reported that there was no odor.

In addition, the following incidents were reported over the weekend in the Cambridge Police Department log.

4/24/09

10:53 p.m.—A California resident stated that someone entered her hotel room and stole her jewelry while she was staying at the Inn at Harvard.

4/26/09

2:08 a.m.—20-year-old Diego Bonifaz of 8508 122nd St. Kew Gardens, NY was arrested for Affray and Assault & Battery during a fight on Mt. Auburn St. in Harvard Square.

2:53 a.m.—A Harvard student reported that at approximately 2:00 AM on April 26, an unknown person took her pocketbook while she was on Memorial Dr. near Plympton Street.

4:44 p.m.—A Somerville resident reported the theft of her bicycle from the area of Mass Ave. and Garden Street. The theft occurred sometime between 2:45 PM and 4:45 PM.

—Staff writer Emily J. Hogan can be reached at ejhogan@fas.harvard.edu.