Groups Honor Israel Independence

By Beverly E. Pozuelos, Contributing Writer

Jewish student groups Alpha Epsilon Pi, Harvard Hillel, Harvard College Progressive Jewish Alliance, and Harvard Students for Israel hosted a number of events yesterday to recognize the 61st anniversary of Israel’s independence.

There was a barbeque at the MAC Quad, a “Cheap Eats for Grads” event at Hillel, and a film screening of the Israeli film “The Troupe”—all intended, organizers said, to bring people together and celebrate Israel Independence Day.

For AEPi, a national fraternity committed to charity work, the barbeque event was both a celebration and a fundraiser for the Shaare Zedek Hospital in Jerusalem, said AEPi Internal Social Chair Daniel Nachajon ’11.

After going on a birthright—a fully-funded 10-day trip to Israel for young adult Jews—Nachajon said he was inspired to fundraise for the hospital, which he said offered care to all comers regardless of political affiliation—a rarity in a country often torn by political disagreements.

Yesterday’s barbeque was funded by a grant from MASA, an Israeli program that helps students find jobs, internships, and study abroad opportunities in Israel, said AEPi member Fabian A. Poliak ’11.

“Israel is an important place for Jewish people,” said AEPi President Samuel M. Gross ’10, explaining why he valued the celebration of Israeli Independence Day. “It’s great for people who go for so long without land to finally have their land.”

Jason W. Schnier ’11, the chair of Harvard College Progressive Jewish Alliance, said that yesterday’s events were not political, but rather that they represented simply a “celebration of culture and of Jewish statehood.”

Likewise, attendee Michael M. Kohen ’09 said that he believed Israel Independence Day was about appreciating how much the country has progressed.

“Israel is a beautiful place in what its been able to give in 61 years,” said Kohen. “It’s amazing how a country so small can launch satellites in space and be on the forefront of technology.”

Matthew R. Cohen ’11, co-president of Harvard Students for Israel, said he hoped that holding the event on the MAC quad could attract non-Jews to stop by and experience a little bit of the Israeli culture.

One non-Jewish attendee, Cecelia A. Raker ’11, said she was there with friends but that she thought it was wonderful to see so many people come together.

“[Israel] really is incredible in all senses and is still strong,” Raker said.