Harvard Boxing Sees Revival

By Brian Mejia, Contributing Writer

A crowd of 150 students cheered on members of the Harvard Boxing Club in nine head-to-head bouts at the Quadrangle Athletic Recreational Center last night in the first boxing exhibition on campus since 1976.

Over 30 years ago, Harvard Boxing was discontinued as an intramural offering and became solely a club sport due to often riotous crowds during House tournaments.

“This was a big challenge for us,” said Toby “Stormin” L. Norman ’10, co-president of the boxing club. “We’re really excited to bring this tradition back.”

But the task of reviving Harvard boxing—once required of all College students during World War II—was not without its hurdles, including securing the approval of the administration, the Recreational Club Sports program, and University Health Services.

Tim W. Wheaton, assistant director of athletics, Gary J. Brown, manager of recreational sports at the Quadrangle Recreational and Athletic Center, and Claire Goggin, intramurals and clubs sports assistant, were the first on board with the club’s idea to host an exhibition.

“The department is excited to give student athletes an opportunity to exhibit their skills. Harvard has 38 clubs, with an opportunity for all clubs to give,” Brown said.

Several students interviewed by The Crimson said they felt that the major argument against the exhibition was the image of a lack of safety that boxing portrays.

“People tend to have a negative view of boxing,” said Jonathan K. Nguyen ’09, the club’s other co-president. “But this is Olympic amateur-style boxing. And amateur is a different style.”

In amateur boxing, fighters wear head protection and bouts are much shorter than in professional boxing. The emphasis in the sport is on scoring points, rather than knocking one’s opponent out, and organizers stressed the relative safety of the event.

Still, Patty M. Yoffe—wife of club coach Doug A. Yoffe and recent recipient of the American Association of Professional Ringside Physicians’ Ringside Physician of the Year award—was on-site to tend to participants’ safety.

Despite the initial organizing difficulties, the event came together successfully in the eyes of organizers.

“Everyone worked so hard during the year being able to perform in front of a crowd is an exciting prospect,” said Doug Yoffe. “People admire them for their courage or determination whether they’re a man or a woman.”

Maria A. May, a member of the club, spoke of the strength and support that club members provide for one another, regardless of gender.

“I’ve played for a lot of sports, and I’ve found this team aspect very strong, supportive, and inclusive,” said May, who is a case writer at Harvard Medical School.

“It’s been one of the best social experiences that I’ve encountered on campus, and it’s good that a lot of people showed up in support,” she said.