New Tibetan Gift Shop Opens In Square

The Dekey Tibet Shop opens its doors on Bow Street in the location that formerly housed the video rental store Quick Flix.
By Katherine M. Savarese, Crimson Staff Writer

Vacant since the closure of Quick Flix video rental last March, 8 Bow St. became home to Harvard Square’s newest store last Friday with the opening of Dekey Tibet Shop.

According to owner Tsering Dickey, the shop has been in the works since July.  Although she is still in the process of receiving and organizing merchandise, the store is now officially open for business.

A native of Tibet, Dickey has lived in Boston for over 15 years but has never owned or opened a store before.

“I don’t have any experience,” she said.  “My husband has been helping me a lot.”

Decorated with colorful flags and proverbs, Dekey Tibet Shop offers a wide variety of silver and turquoise jewelry from India, as well as hand-sewn bags, hats, scarves, and sweaters from India and Nepal.

Dickey said the store has already received a lot of interest from students, who are particularly attracted to the warm winter hats and scarves decorated with patterns and animals.

While much of the merchandise is hand-made, the store also offers certain less expensive manufactured items—such as Tibet t-shirts.

Joining the ranks of other Tibetan-themed stores already in the Square, Dickey says she is friendly with her competitors. “We know each other,” she added.

Tsering Topgyal, co-owner of Tibet’s Jinten at 1174 Mass. Ave., echoed this feeling of camaraderie amongst the owners, and said he was glad to see another Tibet shop open; he even hopes to serve as a mentor for the newcomer.

“It is great to have each other,” he said.  “We can help each other out—with shipments and finding new merchandise.”

—Staff writer Katherine M. Savarese can be reached at savarese@fas.harvard.edu.

Harvard Square