J-Term Approvals Hold Steady

By Melody Y. Hu and Eric P. Newcomer, Crimson Staff Writers

The College accepted approximately 93 percent of undergraduate applications for on-campus housing during the second January Term, according to winter break coordinator Erin E. Goodman.

The 1,375 undergraduate students who applied for housing were notified of the college’s decisions yesterday. Approximately 1,275 requests were approved.

Last year 93.7 percent of J-Term housing applications were accepted.

College administrators say they limit the number of students allowed to stay on campus by the capacity of Annenberg Hall, which will remain the only dining facility open on campus before the College reopens on Jan. 16 for the Optional Winter Activities Week.

In contrast to last year, the notifications came a month after the deadline—a turnaround time more than twice as long as last year.

“Last year, decisions were made and notifications sent on a rolling basis,” Goodman wrote in an e-mail. “This year, we decided to work directly with coaches, departments, and resident deans, and to have a single notification date.”

Similar to last year’s J-Term, only students permitted to remain on campus will have card swipe access to College facilities. Unauthorized students living on campus could face disciplinary action by the Administrative Board.

Between Jan. 2 and Jan. 15, Annenberg will be open for lunch and dinner only, and gyms and libraries may also reduce their hours. Shuttles will follow a modified schedule from Jan. 3 to Jan. 15.

And as was the case last year, students will not be allowed to hold social gatherings or host guests in their dorm rooms, according to Goodman.

The College will re-open to all students a week before the beginning of the spring semester for the inaugural OWAW.

According to Goodman, the Undergraduate Council received over 50 grant applications to support OWAW events.

Registration for OWAW activities remains open until Dec. 3 and all official programming will be listed on the Harvard public events calendar.

Events will include a conference on healthy living and a multi-day workshop on creating smartphone applications. Additionally, UC president Johnny F. Bowman ’11 is planning a snowman-making event, according to Eric N. Hysen ’11, UC vice-president.

This year’s J-Term has been cast as an experiment to help determine how the period can be best used.

“This winter break is going to decide whether we expand [J-Term] in future years or whether we go back to a model of ‘School’s not in session, do what you want,’” Hysen said.

—Staff writer Melody Y. Hu can be reached at melodyhu@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Eric P. Newcomer can be reached at newcomer@fas.harvard.edu.

J Term