SPORTS BRIEF: Harvard Sailing Sends Two Boats To Compete At Midweek Tech

By Thomas D. Hutchison, Crimson Staff Writer

Given the rare opportunity to compete during the week, the Harvard sailing team sent a young contingent to sail in the waters of the Charles River at the MIT-hosted Midweek Tech Invitational #1 yesterday afternoon.

The group came away with ninth- and 11th-place finishes in the field of 12.

“We did not perform very well in terms of final team standings,” freshman crew Lauren Tiedemann said. “But we were able to take advantage of the opportunity to compete in a different type of boat than we normally do. The Tech dinghies made for really interesting and more relaxed sailing, at least for the crew.”

First year skipper Sam Millham teamed up with sophomore crew Caroline Lowe to finish ninth yesterday, as the pair finished in the top three twice out of the eight races on the day.

Rookie skipper Nick Waldo and Tiedemann brought home an 11th-place effort.

Due to the low-key nature of the event, both pairs did not compete in the final two races of the afternoon.

As a result, both Waldo and Tiedemann were automatically given last place finishes for the races they did not finish, hurting the duo’s overall standing.

A squad from Tufts nicknamed the “Jumbalaya” emerged victorious out of the field comprised of local teams from Northeastern, Wellesley, Tufts, MIT, and Harvard.

“There was decent wind out there, pretty stable for the Charles,” Tiedemann said, “so we were able to get some quality experience competing against teams from throughout the region.”

—Thomas D. Hutchison

Sports BriefsSailing