UPDATE: Harvard Faker Adam Wheeler Won Admission to Stanford

Former Harvard student Adam Wheeler, 23, was indicted on 20 counts of larceny, identity fraud, falsifying an endorsement or approval, and pretending to hold a degree.
By Xi Yu, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED 11:55 p.m.

Adam B. Wheeler, the former Harvard student who pled not guilty last month for fabricating his academic history, applied to Stanford University after his dismissal from Harvard and was accepted at the California school for the 2010-2011 academic year.

Lisa Lapin, assistant vice president for university communications at Stanford, confirmed that Wheeler had been accepted to Stanford as an undergraduate for this fall, but said that he will not be enrolling. Wheeler would have been an incoming junior had the school not rescinded his admission.

"Whenever the university becomes aware of a possible misrepresentation of facts in an application for admission, Stanford will investigate," Lapin wrote in an e-mailed statement to The Crimson. "If at any point the university concludes that an applicant has misrepresented their credentials, we will revoke an offer of admission."

Wheeler's admission to Stanford is detailed in new court documents that were filed Wednesday, when Wheeler's attorney, Steven A. Sussman, appeared at the Middlesex Superior Court in Woburn for a pretrial conference.

The documents also indicate that Wheeler applied to Williams College's Seaport Maritime Studies Program in Mystic, Conn. Prosecutors said that the court documents indicate Wheeler's acceptance into the Williams program, according to The Boston Globe.

The court documents also provide information about Wheeler's forged Phillips Academy in Andover transcript, which he submitted to Harvard College. Wheeler had used an identification number that belonged to an actual student at Phillips Andover.

As the investigation proceeds, the list of programs and schools that Wheeler has applied to grows longer. After his dismissal from Harvard in the fall of 2009, Wheeler applied to Yale and Brown as a transfer student, as well as to McLean Hospital for an internship in January 2010.

Wheeler's application to Brown included a forged letter of recommendation from David A. Smith, resident dean of Kirkland House, according to the documents.

On May 18, Wheeler pled not guilty to 20 counts of larceny, identity fraud, falsifying an endorsement or approval, and pretending to hold a degree. Prosecutors allege that Wheeler, a Delaware native, submitted plagiarized letters of recommendations, fake transcripts, and fraudulent SAT scores in his transfer application to Harvard. He also allegedly submitted fraudulent documents when applying for the Rhodes and Fulbright Scholarships.

Wheeler, who arrived at Harvard in 2007 as a sophomore, was a resident of Kirkland House and won a Hoopes prize in his junior year for a paper that was later found to be plagiarized.

The defendant is currently being held on $5,000 bail. His hearing date is set for Aug. 9.

—Staff writer Xi Yu can be reached at xyu@college.harvard.edu.

CrimeAdam Wheeler