Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Adam Wheeler Released From Jail Upon Posting Bail

By Xi Yu, Crimson Staff Writer

Former Harvard student Adam B. Wheeler, who pled not guilty in May for fabricating an elaborate academic history, was released from jail after his $5,000 bail was posted on June 14, the Middlesex Sheriff's Office confirmed on Saturday.

On May 18, Wheeler pled not guilty to 20 counts of larceny, identity fraud, falsifying an endorsement or approval, and pretending to hold a degree. Prosecutors allege that the Delaware native submitted plagiarized letters of recommendations, fake transcripts, and fraudulent SAT scores in his transfer application to Harvard. He also allegedly submitted fraudulent documents when applying for the Rhodes and Fulbright Scholarships.

After his dismissal from Harvard in the fall of 2009, Wheeler applied to Yale, Brown, and Stanford as a transfer student, as well as to McLean Hospital for an internship in January 2010. Stanford, which had accepted Wheeler as an incoming junior, revoked his admission upon learning of his fraudulent schemes.

Wheeler, who arrived at Harvard in 2007 as a sophomore, was a resident of Kirkland House and won a Hoopes prize in his junior year for a paper that was later found to be plagiarized.

His hearing date is set for Aug. 9.

—Staff writer Xi Yu can be reached at xyu@college.harvard.edu.

—Julie M. Zauzmer contributed to the reporting of this story.

His hearing date is set for Aug. 9.

CrimeAdam Wheeler