Harvard Plays Cornell to Draw

Junior midfielder Aisha Price scores Harvard's first goal against Cornell on Saturday afternoon. The matchup between the two teams ended in a deadlock, 2-2.
By Alex Sopko, Crimson Staff Writer

Throughout the past weeks, Harvard co-captain Melanie Baskind and freshman Meg Casscells-Hamby have provided the go-to force for the Crimson women's soccer team (7-4-1, 2-0-1 Ivy), taking 37 and 33 shots, respectively, this season.

But playing against Cornell (2-9-1, 0-2-1 Ivy) in Ithaca earlier today, Harvard relied on goals by junior Aisha Price and sophomore Elizabeth Weisman to carry the team to a 2-2 tie and keep the Crimson at the top of the Ivy League rankings.

Price put the Crimson on the board first, heading in a goal off of a corner kick by co-captain Lindsey Kowal in the 73rd minute. Winless in the Ancient Eight coming into today's game, Cornell refused to let a win slip away. Only 16 seconds after Price's header, Abigail Apistolas scored for the Big Red to tie the game.

While Harvard continued to attack, taking 15 shots on goal compared to Cornell's eight, Big Red goaltender Megan Bartlett remained impassable, making six saves overall. At 84:12, Weisman sneaked a shot past Bartlett, converting a pass by Price into a 2-1 lead. But with 1:42 left in the game, Cornell's Maneesha Chitanvis hammered in a pass by Apistolas into another tying goal for the Big Red.

A scoreless 15 minutes in overtime provided the Ivy League with its first tie of the season. Harvard plays Siena on Tuesday in its final non-conference game before facing four Ancient Eight opponents to end the regular season.

Women's Soccer