Keeping It Going

Oliver McNally, Keith Wright, and Brogan Berry seek professional contracts after stellar senior seasons.

By Tyler Kugler, Contributing Writer

When the final horn of the season sounds for a senior athlete, what lies ahead? Does the ball keep bouncing or do the gym shoes finally get hung up?

For three Crimson seniors whose successful college basketball careers have come to a close, new opportunities on the court sit just on the horizon.

Brogan Berry, co-captain of the women’s basketball team, led the Crimson to three NIT berths in four years, while both men’s basketball co-captains, Keith Wright and Oliver McNally helped transform Harvard into back-to-back Ivy champions after decades of futility.

But does this type of success at the college level translate into professional basketball? The three soon-to-graduate seniors are excited to find out.

OLIVE THE LIGHTS

For McNally, long-term aspirations to play at the next level are finally in sight.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to play professional basketball,” said the co-captain, who is currently looking for an agent.

In learning the ins and outs of planning a professional basketball career, McNally has turned to his coaching staff for advice.

“Every single one of our coaches makes themselves extremely available,” McNally said. “Coach Amaker and I have developed a great relationship, and he’s been totally available to help me out and discuss the process.”

As McNally searches for a team, he has his sights set on Western Europe, Ireland in particular.

“I’ve always wanted to go to Ireland,” McNally said. “I’m Irish and its something that I’ve always hoped to do.”

The prospect of playing professionally overseas promises more than simply top-notch basketball for McNally. The 6’3” guard hopes that heading to Europe will be a learning experience and provide an opportunity to see the world.

“I’m really looking forward to continue playing and being able to use [basketball] as a tool to live abroad and learn a new language while still competing at a high level,” McNally said.

Beyond basketball, McNally is open to many future career possibilities and said that his experiences at Harvard have prepared him for whatever he does.

“The responsibility I’ve had being a captain over the past two years and being on a team where you learn to give a little on your end and work with other people is something that’s very useful…whether it’s business, basketball, or whatever,” McNally said.

But it’s not business that’s on McNally’s mind at the moment.

“The one thing that I’m confident about is that I’m going to go play basketball next year,” McNally said.

BERRY NICE

Fellow senior Brogan Berry has similar aspirations, as she sets her sights on playing professionally overseas as well.

“Ideally I’d like to either play in Spain or France, but I’ll play anywhere that I have a good, safe situation for my first year,” Berry said.

Berry has also spent a lot of time since her senior season ended learning what it takes to logistically attain a professional contract. In addition to her coaches, Berry has reached out to alumni who have taken the same path to professional hoops in Europe. Like McNally, Berry is also looking to sign with an agent soon.

On her end, Berry plans to send out films and ink a contract by summer so that she will be playing by early fall.

When her basketball career does ultimately come to a close, Berry already has a plan in mind.

“When I come back, I’d like to go to a city hopefully, I really enjoy Chicago,” Berry said. “I’d really like to get involved with a franchise of some sport. There’s definitely a lot of sports and industry in Chicago, so I’d love to get my foot in the door there.”

WRIGHT ON TRACK

As Keith Wright considers plans for his career, he shares similar ambitions with McNally and Berry to play at the next level. But Wright—who was named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 Watch List—isn’t looking across the pond.

“I have plans of continuing my basketball career,” Wright said. “Hopefully it’s here in the States playing in the best league in the world, the NBA.”

As the 6’8” forward looks to take the next step in his career, he’s turned to family to help guide him along.

“My mom is definitely an important piece,” Wright said. “I also have family members that know about the process.”

In addition to Wright’s family ties, Harvard’s most famous basketball alumnus, Jeremy Lin ’10, has also sent along some advice.

“Jeremy Lin has also been talking to me a little bit,” Wright said. “He has been giving me advice on the whole agent process as well as the Portsmouth Invitational, which I played in this weekend.”

For Wright, his plans after a professional basketball career bring him back to school.

“After the ball is done bouncing, I plan on going back to school to become a couples therapist,” Wright said. “Helping people is something that I have always loved doing.”

A LASTING LEGACY

Senior Andrew Van Nest, the only other player to spend four years with Wright and McNally on the Harvard men’s basketball team, commended his long-time teammates.

“Our class started off with seven and now it’s down to three,” Van Nest said. “I’m glad that two of us are going to continue to play at a really high level, and honestly as high as they want to go.”

“Keith in his nation-wide success, and Oliver with his leadership, it definitely suits them both to keep going,” Van Nest continued.

Regardless of the future professional endeavors, Brogan, McNally, and Wright have all witnessed history in a Crimson uniform.

For Berry, that meant leading Harvard to a 73-71 win over Hofstra in the first round of the NIT, the first-ever Ivy League win the tournament.

And accomplishments achieved during McNally and Wright’s tenure have permanently altered the face of Harvard basketball and perhaps Crimson athletics.

“Keith, Oliver, and I always talked about the change in the fan base,” Van Nest said. “We went from playing home games where you could see all the openings in the seats to our senior year, where tickets were going on eBay, where there wasn’t an open spot in the house. It was a night-and-day experience from our freshman year.”

“I think it’s only getting started,” McNally added. “We’ve got a lot of good guys coming back, and Coach Amaker is going to keep bringing in good players.”

The seniors acknowledge that they’ve also learned a lot in their years as Harvard basketball players.

“Your coaches and teammates will be family for the rest of your life,” Berry commented.

But for now, though the trio of seniors has left the confines of Lavietes Pavilion for good, the focus on basketball remains intense.

“I am still worrying about basketball. I am still working out,” Wright said. “There is a lot that I have to do in order to get ready for the level I want to play at.”

Men's BasketballWomen's Basketball