'Rocky Horror' Show To Relocate to Downtown Boston

By Petey E. Menz, Crimson Staff Writer

After 28 years at the AMC Harvard Square theater, the Full Body Cast will move its weekly midnight screenings of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” to the AMC Loews Boston Common 19 theater, with shows starting Saturday, Aug. 4.

FBC, a rotating group of actors who perform along with the screening of the film, will stage two final performances in Harvard Square on Saturday night at 9:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. The AMC Harvard Square Theater will close the next day at the end of business hours.

FBC director Alex H. Savitsky said that the company reviewed several theaters and chose the new cinema, located in the heart of downtown Boston, because it has plenty of space for performances and storage.

“It was a close call … but they just had the best combination of performing space and storage space,” Savitsky said, adding that the FBC’s familiarity with AMC also influenced its decision.

Though the new home of FBC’s “Rocky Horror” has less street parking than the Harvard Square location, the Boston Common area does have more 24-hour garages, Savitsky said.

The final midnight show in Harvard Square has been sold out since last Saturday, according to Savitsky. The 9:30 p.m. showing has been sold since Wednesday.

These two final shows will feature what Savitsky called “all-star casts,” groups comprised of current performers and “Rocky Horror” alumni.

Harvard Square