BRIEF: Sailing Places in Top Four in Four of Five Regattas

By Isabel DeLaura, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard sailing team made waves in the opening weekend to its fall season, placing in the top four in four of its five regattas.

CENTRAL SERIES ONE

The Crimson sent one contingent to compete at Tufts, where it came away with a victory at the Central Series One. Harvard sailed against a number of other NEISA teams in Larks, finishing well ahead of Boston University and Tufts, who took second and third, respectively.

The Crimson dominated both divisions, with the B division duo of freshman skipper Jackson Wagner and junior crew Olivia Kjorlien taking first overall with 41 points. Rookies Nick DiGiovanni and Divya Arya took first in the A division as well, with junior crew Cara Kennedy Cuomo stepping in for the day’s final race.

HARRY ANDERSON TROPHY

One Harvard squad trekked to Yale for the Harry Anderson Trophy, where sailors from all over the east coast competed in 420s. Among the Crimson’s competitors were the Bulldogs, MIT, St. Mary’s of Maryland and the University of South Florida.

No. 10 Harvard ended the weekend in fourth place out of 18 teams, behind the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, Boston College, and Boston University. Senior skipper Andrew Mollerus and classmate crew Sydney Karnovsky held down the A division, coming in fifth. In the B division, senior skipper Marek Zaleski and junior crew Julia Lord took third.

HARVARD INVITATIONAL

Another Crimson squad took home bronze on home turf at the Harvard Invitational, competing against local colleges in FJs in fleet-style racing. Gold and silver went to two Bowdoin teams who scored 45 and 46, respectively. The Polar Bears narrowly edged out the Crimson, who ended the day with 47 points.

The A division pair of sophomore skipper Dylan Farrell and junior crew Zoe Kessler earned second place. Meanwhile, freshman skipper Nicholas Karnovsky made his debut in the B division, coming in fourth alongside sophomore Ariana Gross.

PINE TROPHY

In the 73rd Pine Trophy, Harvard took second place, edging out Yale by a single point. The squad of sophomores Nick Sertl and Taylor Ladd and seniors Jacob Bradt and Kristina Jakobson traveled to the home of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, where they sailed J-70’s in one division. Over the course of the day’s eight races, the Crimson placed first in three races, and never dipped below fifth place in the pool of eight teams.

TONI DEUTSCH TROPHY

Yet another Harvard group competed down the river at MIT for the Toni Deutsch Trophy, coming in 10th out of 15 teams and sailing in fireflies. The gold again went to Bowdoin, while host MIT came in fourth. In the A division, senior skipper Sophie Bermudez and junior crew Emma Wheeler took sixth. On the other end, the B division duo of freshman skipper Martha Gavula and junior crew Nomin-Erdene Jagdagdorj dipped to 11th.

—Staff writer Isabel DeLaura can be reached at idelaura@college.harvard.edu.

Sports BriefsSailing