Police Still Investigating Church Street Stabbing

By Beth Young, Crimson Staff Writer

Cambridge Police are still awaiting video surveillance in connection with a stabbing that occurred on Church Street late last month, Cambridge Police Department Spokesperson Jeremy Warnick wrote in an email Monday.

The incident took place three weeks ago between two men who knew each other. After an argument, one man stabbed the other, with the victim sustaining an injury to his lower abdomen. The victim was taken to a local hospital and has since been released, according to Warnick.

“A person of interest was arrested on two warrants unrelated to the stabbing,” Warnick wrote on March 25. Nevertheless, he said the investigation is ongoing and the name of the suspect cannot be released yet.

"Once probable cause is established, an arrest for the stabbing could be made, but until then, a name can't be released," Warnick wrote.

Despite the incident’s close proximity to campus, the Harvard University Police Department did not send out a “MessageMe” alert or email to warn students to avoid the area.

“Based on the information available to the HUPD during the incident a determination was made that it was an isolated incident between parties that knew each other and that there was no continuing threat to the Harvard community,” HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano wrote in an email last week.

The stabbing occurred just one day prior to a fatal shooting near Mount Auburn Hospital, another violent incident involving two victims. One victim died shortly thereafter and the second victim has been released from the hospital, Warnick wrote on Monday.

According to Warnick and Meghan Kelly, Communications Director of the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, the Mt. Auburn shooting investigation remains “open and active.”

—Staff writer Beth Young can be reached at beth.young@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @thebethyoung.

CrimeHarvard in the CityHUPDCambridgeCambridge PoliceMetro