Women's Rugby Drops Three of Four at Varsity 7's Championships

By Wade G. Player, Crimson Staff Writer

Hard defensive play has been the signature of the Harvard women’s rugby team all season. This weekend was no different. After securing a spot in May’s USA Rugby College 7’s National Championships last weekend, the team played every game within a score this weekend in the Varsity 7’s Championships. The Crimson also managed to hold every team under 20 points.

Harvard competed against seven other schools in the Varsity 7’s Championships at West Point. The Crimson, having won the Ivy 7’s Championship last weekend, was the top-ranked team in its pool which consisted of Dartmouth, Army, and Navy. The other pool included top-ranked AIC, Norwich, Brown, and West Chester. Harvard went 1-3 on the day, losing twice in pool play before being edged out by AIC in the semifinal game.

“[It was] obviously not the outcome we wanted,” freshman Grace Chao said. “But even in some of our toughest games...we kept fighting....and it in no way diminishes the incredible progress we made this season.”

AIC, 15, Harvard, 12

The Crimson have played AIC twice this sevens season and both times, Harvard played the Yellow Jackets within three points. However, the Crimson was on the losing side in each contest. The last time Harvard took on AIC, it lost 10-7 at the Quinnipiac 7’s tournament.

The Crimson began the game with a 40-meter try by senior Aniebiet Abasi. This was the third game of four that Abasi downed Harvard’s first try. The Crimson went up 5-0, but AIC tied it up just before the half. Early in the second frame, AIC took a 10-5 lead. However, senior Lydia Burns put Harvard up 12-10 after a try and successful conversion. With 40 seconds left in the game, the Crimson was up, but a line break allowed the Yellow Jackets to score. AIC scored the game-winning try, taking the semifinal 15-12.

“I feel great about the team’s play,” sophomore co-captain Maya Learned said. “They did really well. They a really great match against AIC...the first seed in the tournament…. It was a very close game, really well done by everyone out on the field.”

Navy, 17, Harvard, 10

Abasi began her dominant weekend against Navy, downing the opening try on an 80-meter score. Freshman Caitlin Weigel, who has been a force in sevens, increased the lead to 10-0 at half. However, Navy countered with a strong second half attack, tying the score at 10. Penalties allowed Navy to score the go-ahead try in the final minutes to secure the victory.

Harvard 19, Dartmouth, 0

Harvard continued its solid play against Ancient Eight schools, shutting out Dartmouth in its lone win of the day. The Crimson has shut out nine of its opponents in its 17 wins during this sevens season.

“Defense in sevens rugby is all about work rate and just getting yourself in front of the ball,” Learned said. “That’s something our team...really commits to...having the best work rate out of any team.”

Army, 17, Harvard, 10

The trend of the weekend appeared to be Abasi opening the scoring for the Crimson. Out of the four games played, Abasi scored the opening try in three of them. Against Army, Abasi’s first try countered Army’s opening score to get Harvard within two at 7-5. Abasi took the ball 100 meters into the endzone to put the Crimson on the board. However, the Cadets scored before halftime to go up 12-5.

Army extended the lead early in the second half, but sophomore Dalton Youngblood, following Abasi’s example, went 100 meters for the score to bring the Crimson within seven. Army’s defense, however, held strong, taking the game, 17-10.

—Staff writer Wade G. Player can be reached at wplayer@college.harvard.edu.

Women's Rugby