Columns

Accessible Needs to be Accessible: Here’s How

By Anuksha S. Wickramasinghe, Crimson Opinion Writer
​Anuksha S. Wickramasinghe ’24 is a Neuroscience concentrator and Crimson Editorial editor in Mather House. Her column “Adhdventures” appears on alternate Wednesdays.

One of the first pieces I knew I’d write for my column, even before I knew I’d write a column, was a piece about navigating the Accessible Education Office. Registering for accommodations was a process that I found harder to navigate than I would have liked.

Perhaps, the AEO has always struck me as a salient topic because, in the words of Rachel Auslander ’22-’23, co-founder of the Harvard University Disability Justice Club, “The AEO is many students’ first introduction to the idea of being disabled” — even if the AEO rarely acknowledges the crucial introductory role it holds.

Since my initial concept for the piece, there has been more coverage, from both Crimson News and Editorial (ed-love!) about the experiences with Harvard’s AEO, from the lack of flexibility and accessibility to the need for a solution. Each piece recognizes and appreciates the AEO’s attempts to make Harvard more accessible and accommodating, and though this recognition is critical, it is not enough to solve that oftentimes, in the accommodation process, the burden can be placed on students it seeks to accommodate.

With this piece, I want to focus on how the AEO can be improved from a broader disability justice perspective, which encompasses neurodiversity. Understanding where the AEO can improve begins with delving deeper into the difficulties behind the AEO process.

Late on Housing Day Eve, Auslander and I hopped on a Zoom call to discuss the ins and outs of the AEO.

Because as Auslander pointed out, the AEO can be one of the first experiences students have with being disabled, the process can have several additional challenges — though this isn’t to suggest that it’s necessarily easier for those with longer-standing disabilities.

As Auslander explains, “Students don’t need to identify as disabled, but those who do and those who know about disability rights and disability justice are better equipped to advocate for themselves and overcome internalized ableism.”

Many people first interfacing with the AEO, however, have not done that yet, Auslander explains, and this is their “first time and first experience” requesting resources that would flag them as disabled.

For one, as Auslander notes, overcoming the internalized ableism surrounding accommodations can be complicated. It’s a notion that I can personally relate to, because admittedly, I’d still think to myself, ‘But I made it to Harvard without accommodations — maybe I’m not trying hard enough,’ despite knowing that I’ve always been trying my hardest. I’d wonder if people would even believe that I’d need accommodations, considering, as Auslander captures: “With invisible disabilities, it's especially challenging given that there's no proof. The proof — it happens when you're alone in your bedroom, or in your own experience in your daily life. It's not necessarily something you can show to people.”

We’re here to remind you that you’re not alone in using accommodations, and if they help you, you should use them. “You're not weak or incapable for using them. You just need them to get things done,” Auslander says. “That doesn't make you not a good Harvard student or something. You're still fit to be here even having accommodations.”

In this context, it’s all the more invalidating to hear messages from AEO officers that you don’t need certain accommodations, shouldn’t ask for them, or shouldn’t use their accommodations, as Auslander has reportedly heard other students have experienced. Such notions are, at their core, both ableist and dismissive of students’ needs.

These challenges are often exacerbated struggles in knowing what accommodations to even ask for. Auslander tells me that the AEO can often rely heavily on doctors’ assessments, which may focus too heavily on the “illness side” rather than the “disability side” meaning that though doctors may know what medicines, procedures, and surgeries may be best, they may not be as helpful in recommending lifestyle modifications and suitable accommodations.

Beyond that, for most AEO conversations, “You're expected to come to the conversation knowing exactly what you need,” Auslander says, which I can relate to. Especially if you’re new to knowing or being disabled, “You might just know your experience of dealing with navigating the disability. You don't what could change,” she explains. You may not know what flexibility and accommodations you can be afforded, from extended time to “a different chair in class.” For anyone currently struggling with identifying accommodations, she recommends referring to the Job Accommodation Network, which is particularly helpful if you have a diagnosed disability or have an idea of what disabilities you may have.

Arguably, though, the biggest challenge that the AEO faces is a lack of resources, which the Editorial Board has emphasized before. We have called for increased transparency surrounding how often the AEO is used.

Harvard spokesperson Alixandra A. Nozzolillo confirmed in an email that 15 to 20 percent of College students use the AEO, but that this number does not account for all “disabled students in the College,” or the total Faculty of Arts and Sciences’ use of the AEO.

The range may account for fluctuations in students with circumstances such as temporary accommodations.

Despite how prevalent AEO use is, this number is not one that I could find publicly. It underscores yet another barrier students face when accessing the AEO: a lack of information.

Auslander recounted to me her own story with the AEO. She had actually heard about the office from a student because despite her proctor knowing she had a disability, her proctor didn’t interpret it as one. And, though mental health resources receive significant publicity and discussion during Opening Days, accommodations do not receive the same attention, furthering the lack of awareness.

Even still, she says that had she known earlier that the AEO existed, she may not have realized that it was for her because, at the time, she didn’t see herself as disabled. She highlights that especially with neurodivergence and mental illness.

“There's an assumption by Harvard that people who are disabled come into the University knowing they are disabled,” Auslander says, something that is far from the case.

Frankly, the fact that up to one in five students use the AEO makes the lack of funding and resources for the AEO all the more appalling. HUDJ, however, is working on several initiatives to make navigating the AEO a smoother process. Such projects include advocating for an increase in AEO staff and clearer language to increasing awareness about the AEO’s policies. Joining HUDJ is a great first step towards navigating and learning more about the disabled experience, and it’s fantastic that HUDJ is doing this work, but students shouldn’t be “left to their own devices and have to rely on unpaid student activism,” says Auslander. I agree.

So, what can the AEO do? What can Harvard do? For starters, the AEO needs much more funding — funding that could go towards hiring much more staff and increasing awareness and information about the office.

“What would an ideal AEO look like?” I ask Auslander. She tells me that if I publish one thing from our interview, it should be her call to “triple the number of AEO staff” which would resolve a significant portion of student issues such as long wait times and communication difficulties.

Increased funding, staffing, and resources are just the beginning, though. To Auslander, an ideal AEO would center student experiences, be more experimental with accommodations for students, and increase disability education for AEO staff, including how to navigate internalized ableism.

And a better Harvard? Well, as Auslander argues, the AEO, which is an administrative body, isn’t enough.

“There needs to be a nonadministrative Disability Center for undergraduates that directly engages with them, just like QuOffice or the Women’s Center.”

This kind of center would provide a space for everyone, disabled or not, “to learn more about disability in a very welcoming space that is accessible.” Beyond that, Auslander tells me, Harvard needs to increase its accessibility, both structurally and through policies.

Additionally, though it’s a stretch, it would be most ideal if students could get accommodations directly through professors.

For students seeking advice on how to maximize their experiences with the AEO, both Auslander and Nozzolillo recommend advocating for yourself. In particular, Nozzolillo recommends timely communication with the office. Auslander emphasizes trying your best to come into the office with what you struggle with. “You don't have to come knowing what you need. You need to come knowing what's challenging now.”

She elaborates: “What the problem is, is that if [students] explained the challenges they're facing, they might not have thought of all the challenges they're facing.” Her tip is to “Write down everything that you're struggling with. Maybe it's getting out of bed, maybe it's turning in homework on time, maybe it's getting to class on time.”

Of course, for everyone, Auslander emphasizes that learning more about disability justice is a critical step, whether it be following disabled people on social media to reading books on the history of disability.

Lastly, “fight for yourself,” Auslander says. Don’t limit yourself, and don’t be afraid to ask for accommodations that may help you. If you think you’re struggling, Auslander recommends reaching out to the AEO and making a doctor’s appointment. And she notes, if you feel that you have exhausted the resources of the AEO to no avail, know that there is a grievance policy that you can refer to. You’re not alone in your AEO journey.

This piece isn’t to say that the AEO isn’t doing good work.

The AEO has come a long way, promoting student input in the accommodations process and streamlining it to utilize a secure student information management system, Nozzolillo wrote in her statement.

It’s clear that the AEO truly does care about student experiences, from understanding the “stress and uncertainty” that can come from navigating the accommodations process to appreciating and welcoming student feedback and advocacy, whether it be from students in their AEO meetings or from groups like HUDJ.

Beyond the improvements the AEO itself has made, you can hear from students its served the impact of their work.

Taylor Jackson ’25, currently on a leave of absence and in the process of being diagnosed with a new disability, wrote in a statement, “Even when I started my freshman year virtually due to COVID, I was met with enormous welcome and understanding from the AEO via zoom.”

“After all of the love and support I have received from Harvard AEO, I have no worries about being accommodated fairly upon my return to school with my new diagnosis. There are so many things to worry about when you are ill and your future is changing, but I am beyond lucky to not need to worry about being treated fairly upon my return,” she added.

Someday, hopefully soon, that may be the experience for all of us who interact with the AEO.

Columns