In Photos: The 128th Boston Marathon

By Katherine A. Harvey and Ike J. Park, Crimson Staff Writers
By Ike J. Park

Harvard undergraduates were among thousands of runners who crossed the finish line of the 128th Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon. Emotions ran high for runners and spectators alike on the warm spring day. The 26.2 mile course began in rural Hopkinton, continued through Heartbreak Hill in Newton, and ended in Boston’s Copley Square.

By Ike J. Park

A runner pauses to say hi to spectators, who crowd the sidewalk to catch a glimpse of friends and family members participating in the race.

Runners approach the final turn of the race onto Boston’s Boylston Street. After the turn, they have only three blocks before the finish line in front of Boston Public Library.

Thousands of spectators gather around restaurants on Boylston Street, cheering on the runners as they enter the final stretch.

Spectators held colorful handmade posters with creative messages like “Some day you may fail. Today is not that day.” and “You’re so close, finish.” People stayed to cheer on other runners even after their friends and loved ones had run past them.

The marathon always falls on Patriots’ Day, the Massachusetts holiday commemorating the battles of Lexington, Concord, and Menotomy. This year, the race also coincided with One Boston Day, which is held each year on April 15 to honor the victims of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Steps away from the finish line, runners carry and push each other to the end.

A runner basks in the sun as they complete the race. Clear skies and temperatures in the high 60s made for a beautiful spring afternoon.

The Boston Athletic Association provides invitations to non-profit organizations to distribute to athletes who pledge to raise funds for their cause. Of the 30,000 runners that entered, many ran for more than 160 charities, including Boston Children’s Hospital, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and Project HOPE Boston Inc.

Runners and spectators wore the colors of their countries, decorating the finish area with flags. On the left, spectators wave Taiwanese flags, and on the right, a runner poses with a Mexican flag.

Photo EssayFront Photo Feature