Dickson, McGillivray To Lead Field Hockey in 2011

Junior co-captain Carly Dickson will captain the Harvard field hockey team again in 2011. She will be joined by classmate Georgia McGillivray.
By James Yu, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard field hockey team announced its team captains for the 2011 season today. 2010 junior co-captain Carly Dickson got the nod to continue her leadership, and junior Georgia McGillivray will serve as Dickson’s companion during her senior season. Both women have been starters for their entire collegiate careers, and both hail from Victoria, B.C.

Dickson has already proven herself as a leader during the 2010 season, and her impressive record during her three years speaks volume to her dedication to the team. Having started 50 out of 51 games in the past three seasons, Dickson works her magic in the midfield, leading the team this season in assists and garnering numerous awards for her play, including second-team All-Ivy honors this season.

McGillivray is no less impressive in her track record. In addition to earning an All-Ivy honorable mention this fall, the back recorded three goals and led the Crimson defense to a formidable 2.00 goals allowed per game. She has started every game for Harvard since arriving in Cambridge in 2008.

Heading into next season, Dickson and McGillivray will lead a tough defensive team that has struggled at times to put points on the board. While the future looks optimistic for the Crimson field hockey team under the leadership of this pair of Canadians, there is still a lot of work to do in the offseason to make a run at the Ivy title in 2011.

Field HockeySports Blog