Magic of Numbers: Men's Basketball Plays David to UConn's Goliath

By Ricky Liu, Crimson Staff Writer

Each Thursday (natch, Friday), The Crimson will compile a series of unique statistics about Harvard's sports scene. Welcome to the Magic of Numbers—without the problem sets. We'll do the math for you.

CRIMSON VS. HUSKIES

2009 – Year that UConn’s men’s basketball team last made an appearance in the NCAA tournament. The Huskies have made 28 postseason appearances in the history of the program. Harvard looks to extend its two-game win streak when it heads on the road to take on UConn next Wednesday. The game will be nationally televised on ESPN3.

64 – Number of years since the Crimson’s sole appearance in the NCAA tournament (1946).

8 – Number of wins for the Huskies this season. UConn has gone undefeated in its first eight games to start this season and is ranked fourth in the nation in both the AP Top 25 and USA Today Coaches’ Polls.

28.1 – Points per game for the Huskies’ leading scorer, guard Kemba Walker. Walker is ranked second in the nation in scoring and is also shooting over 40 percent from beyond the three-point line.

16.6 – Points per game for Harvard’s leading scorer, sophomore guard Christian Webster. Webster leads the Ivy League in scoring and is shooting exactly 40 percent from downtown.

13 – Number of former UConn players currently playing in the NBA.

1 – Number of former Crimson basketball players currently playing in the NBA. Jeremy Lin ’10 became the first Harvard player to play in the NBA in 57 years when he signed with the Golden State Warriors this past summer after going undrafted in the 2010 NBA Draft.

Men's BasketballSports BlogMagic of Numbers