Where Are They Now?: Fitz Struggles in Bills Loss

Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick '05 threw three interceptions in his worst game of the season Sunday.
By Denny Purcell, Contributing Writer

In a new weekly feature, The Crimson will be tracking the successes (and potential failures) of some of Harvard’s most successful graduates not to use their Harvard degrees. While a tour through professional sports is not exactly a who’s who of Harvard alumni, a few athletes have taken their game to the next level. From Jeremy Lin to Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Crimson maintains a presence outsaide of the labs and law offices of the world.

After falling to the Jets last Sunday, Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05 and the Buffalo Bills dropped their second straight, this week being defeated by the Dallas Cowboys, 44-7. The 37-point loss was the Bills’ largest margin of defeat of the season.

Fitzpatrick, who went 20-31, threw for a season-low 146 yards and was intercepted a season-high three times. The Bills’ sole touchdown was a three-yard pass from Fitzpatrick to wide receiver David Nelson in the second quarter. Buffalo trailed 28-7 at halftime, even though all three of Fitzpatrick’s interceptions came in the second half.

Buffalo, now 5-4, dropped back a game in the AFC East as the New England Patriots defeated the Jets on Sunday night. Coming off one of his worst performances of the season, Fitzpatrick and the Bills will travel to Miami next Sunday to take on the Dolphins.

But things weren't all bad for Crimson alums on Sunday.

In Seattle, the Baltimore Ravens lost to the Seahawks, 22-17. Center Matt Birk ’98, who had missed practice last Wednesday, was active as the Ravens only rushed 12 times for a total of 75 yards. The loss drops the Ravens to 6-3, now half a game behind the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC North.

And in San Diego, Raiders defensive tackle Desmond Bryant ‘09 had his first sack of the season as he helped Oakland beat the Chargers. The Raiders collected six sacks on the game and took sole posession of first place in the AFC West with the win.

FootballSports Blog